The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I am sure that there is someone in here that can help me. I updated my Wondows software recently, and behold I received a firewall from Microsoft. Well today I was trying to update my voter registration, and the PDF format was not allowed to work. I got a message saying that this "add on" was turned off. So I tried to turn it on. I went to TOOLS and then MANAGE ADD ONS, and the window popped up. Well apparently I am supposed to be able to click a add on and turn it on or off. Well it doens't work. I can't selecat any of the, I can't turn any of the off, and none of them on. It is very frustrating. Can anyone tell me how to update this damn thing? I hate microsoft for this ****. Sorry, but it is true. :rolleyes:

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
- Reboot.
- Reboot again.
- Reinstall Acrobat Reader.
- Reboot.

I'm gussing that'll fix it, but I gave up on the Windoze platform years ago so can't say for sure...

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Steve, that brings up a good point. Browser alternatives have matured to the point where they are generally better than Internet Explorer. Given the horrible reputation that IE has earned for security, there's really no logical reason to use it regularly. Yes, 1% of the websites may not function outside of IE, but save your IE use for those sites *only*.

Besides Mozilla/Firefox, Opera is another browser worth checking out.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I second the Firefox recommendation, but use Opera 95% myself. There are fewer and fewer sites that require IE, and I find myself more willing to shrug and close them.

In any case, if you insist on using Microsoft Virus Studio 2000, you can turn off any and all relationship between IE and PDF. Divorce them and make PDF files like any other Binary that it doesn't know what to do with -- then it will offer to save it in a file or open it in the default application (reader). That is SO much nicer than having IE decorate the PDF files with its own turds and broken navigation.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
pick up october PCWorld - a whole writeup agreeing with the above - dump IE and go to mozilla firefox

·
Registered
2005 elise touring ardent red
612 Posts
i got rid of IE a while back.
i use netscape navigator and Advanced Browser.

·
Registered
687 Posts
This is what I get when I try to go to the Lotus UK site with Netscape:
Code:
Error Occurred While Processing Request

Error Diagnostic Information

ODBC Error Code = 42000 (Syntax error or access violation)

[TCX][MyODBC]You have an error in your SQL syntax near '(ax), 9, 2004)' at line 4

The error occurred while processing an element with a general identifier of (CFQUERY), occupying document position (84:1) to (84:68).
So I keep IE around. Well, it's not like I can get rid of it anyway!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts