The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have on 05 Elise and recently took the plunge to change my tail lights to LED. I bought Euro outers and US inners. I also bought all the parts that Lotus Garage said I needed. The US inners hooked up to the Inductor Jump Harness and then to my car wiring just the way it was suppose to. The Euro outers can not hook up to the Inductor Jump Harness, thus it won't hook up to the Ballast Module (these are 3 plug). The Euro lights have the same type plug as my old lights, so I plugged it into the the car wiring. I turned on the parking lights and everything worked. But when I started the car, one inner got alot brighter then the other, like the brake light was on. I switched the inners around and the same light was now brighter on the other side (and the inners where the ones that hooked up right). I assume there needs to be another part to hook up the ballast and the IJH to the outers, or did I get a bad light? Anybody tried to hook up Euros and have a problem like this?
I appreciate any help!
Rick

·
Arch. Project Manager
1,093 Posts
Do the LED lights have a built in resistor added to adjust the current flow to the LED's? It sounds as if they're recieving too much power. I'm no electrical guru so someone will need to chime in thats savy in that department.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What gets me is the inner lights are the ones that hooked up right and one of them is the one I am having problems with. The Inductor Jump Harness (IJM) (Brake) hooked up like it was suppose to. I could not hook up the Ballast Module (BM) or the IJM (Turn) to the outer lights, and they seem to be working fine. It keeps looking as though I have a bad light, but surely Lotus Garage would not have said I need the BM and IJH if there wasn't a reason.
:wallbang:
Rick

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
LED's, have a current limiting series resistor, if not they will destruct, but a ballast, no, that is dedicated to discharge lighting.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts