The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 60 miles into my trip down to see Shinoo in Temecula i started getting super loud squeeking. It seems like it is coming from the shocks although it is now so loud i cannot pinpoint it. It is definitely from some suspension component because it does not make noise when the road is smooth and suspension isn't moving.

I know squeeks are normal with Lotus but this is so loud now and came on so suddenly that i would bet something is wrong. Does anyone else have this issue?

-Steve

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Vantage said:
Anti-roll bar mount? Happens in a lot of cars.
the squeek is normal or something got messed up with the mount?

I am totally fine with any noises as long as i know they are normal. It just seems suspect to me that a super loud squeek would suddenly start.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
As noted in that thread, mine popped up suddenly for a few weeks, and now is just about gone. :)

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cool. like i said, i'm totally fine with any noises as long as i know they are normal.

Thanks for the help,
Steve

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
I had a front end squeek, probably swaybar bushings, for quite a while. Went away after many hundreds of miles.

TADTS ;)

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
My "squeeze toy" squeak was scary it was so loud and distinct. But it went away.

Started around 1000 miles. Went away before 2500 miles. That was day 1 and day 2. :)

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Mine did it too but only for a day or so:)

·
Registered
714 Posts
So...

I guess it's a case of TADTS.

Appendix A: Acronyms
TADTS They All Do That Sir

:D

·
Registered
677 Posts
So, your Elise is squeeking with joy when you drive it?

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
>>Anti-roll bar mount? Happens in a lot of cars.<<

The Early swaybar equipped Elises had nylon bushings that would squeak. Our Elises have rubber bushings, soft ones. And they are silent. They are even lubed up! You can bump up the effective stiffness of the bar by changing the bushing material. I'm running polyurethane in my Elise. This makes the bar do the twisting instead of first having to squish the bushings before the bar kicks in. Poly bushes can squeak, so I added a grease nipple so that they can be lubricated as required.

Here is a PIC of a modified Elise sway bar mount and poly bush.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
My Elise started having a disconcerting squeak after going over a short vertical bump in the road. It was hard to diagnose, but It turns out that the rear driver seat rail is now loose and the seat rocks a bit. It's a little tricky to see exactly what happened. I'm going to take it back to the dealer. i also have a shimmy at freeway speeds.

So, try grabbing the top of your seat and try rocking it back and forth.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Choco... if the car has a shimmy at freeway speeds, jack up the front and remove the front wheels. Put them back on. Torque correctly.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Could it be environmental, like moisture getting into some places after driving over wet pavement?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Stan said:
>>Anti-roll bar mount? Happens in a lot of cars.<<

The Early swaybar equipped Elises had nylon bushings that would squeak. Our Elises have rubber bushings, soft ones. And they are silent. They are even lubed up! You can bump up the effective stiffness of the bar by changing the bushing material. I'm running polyurethane in my Elise. This makes the bar do the twisting instead of first having to squish the bushings before the bar kicks in. Poly bushes can squeak, so I added a grease nipple so that they can be lubricated as required.

Here is a PIC of a modified Elise sway bar mount and poly bush.

Stan, what model or part number is that bushing, and where can I get some for my car?

I like the lub nipple!

Adam P

1 - 20 of 25 Posts