The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some help making a decision. Here's my background. Married with and 18 month old baby. Wife has a RX350 and I have an 05 Elise for my fun car and an 05 Mini Cooper S for my daily driver. Don't get to drive the Elise as much as I'd like so I'm considering trading my Elise and Mini for an M5. I think that I could get low to mid 30's for my elise and maybe 17-18 for the Mini for a total of around 50. 2006 M5 prices have dropped like stones and you can get one on ebay for around 50. I don't do track days so that isn't a concern (although the m5 is supposed to be quite capable, albeit heavy).

What do people think???

TIA
Dave

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
if your not having fun with your elise then theres no point in keeping the car. It looks like you want a bigger, powerful car. So if thats you really want to do then go ahead get a M5. I was thinking about getting an M5 too i decided wth might as well get the 6.

No one wants to keep a car that they dont love driving..so if this is the case and you think your going to enjoy driving the M5...go ahead. At the end of the day it doesnt really matter what we say, your the one thats going to be driving the car.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I can think of a lot of reasons to go with the M5. However, with these transactions you get screwed with taxes.

Now that you have a child, it might pay off having a good size 4 door.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
Or

keep the lotus...sell the mini and get a camry.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
M-5? I Like the engine! Fugly car though. You have to get a dark one as the light colored cars look absolutley hideous. Banglized:huh: If I drove one I would probably forget about the exterior looks though.
Oh, don't forget about the 10MPG! Seriously:eek: You might want to go online and find out what MPG people are really getting but I would think that you might expect to get about 12 MPG on your average tank full.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Or

keep the lotus...sell the mini and get a camry.
I think this is THE best idea, but I would get a TDI Jetta(like me:D) instead.
How does 40-52mpg sound? Doesn't matter how I drive it 40 city/commute and 50+ on a trip, and with gobs of torque.:bow:

·
Registered
196 Posts
I toyed with the idea of getting rid of my TSX and the Elise for an IS-F (don't ask) a little while back. They offered me $26k for the Elise. I left.

Then, I smacked myself for thinking it.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well the purpose isn't to get a 4 door family car. the point is to get a car that I can enjoy as a daily driver (which is sporty) and use once in a while to cart the kid and maybe the wife back and forth. camry or jetta??? i'd rather stick with what i have. just seems like a shame to have the lotus and not use it more than once a week.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
well the purpose isn't to get a 4 door family car. the point is to get a car that I can enjoy as a daily driver (which is sporty) and use once in a while to cart the kid and maybe the wife back and forth. camry or jetta??? i'd rather stick with what i have. just seems like a shame to have the lotus and not use it more than once a week.
Camry or Jetta AND the Lotus. I'm in... :shrug:
The M5 is a high powered barge and will get horrible mileage.:eek: I think you would get tired of it soon after having a CooperS and an Elise. IMHO... AND the value on a V-10 will continue to tank..

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
have you looked at Audi's...you could probably get a RS4 hatch which is a nice ride.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Well, it will be sad to see the Lotus go but you're right; if you're not enjoying it like you should then the M5 WOULD be the way to go for you. I'd say do it and I'm sure you'll have NO problems selling the only (2) phantom Blacks built for '05 :up:

Abe

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
i think the deal would be sweeter if it was an RS6 lol. How are the RS4 numbers compared to the S6?

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Sounds like your current stable is already awesome. I'd stick with the Mini (if it's a R56 S) and Elise combo.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Oh, and keep in mind, if you do go through with this....buy from a dealer and TRADE both of those cars.

You see your trade in values are deducted from the cost of the car, saving you sales tax...

so if you trade 50k worth in cars, and pay 50k for the car you just saved thousands of dollars without the hassle of trying to out right sell either car

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Oh, and keep in mind, if you do go through with this....buy from a dealer and TRADE both of those cars.

You see your trade in values are deducted from the cost of the car, saving you sales tax...

so if you trade 50k worth in cars, and pay 50k for the car you just saved thousands of dollars without the hassle of trying to out right sell either car
I wish we had that tax law in California:wallbang:

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
i think the deal would be sweeter if it was an RS6 lol. How are the RS4 numbers compared to the S6?
I actually had a guy that bought a new RS4(only had the car for a few weeks) he then traded it in. First he was interested in a GT2 I had in stock but then I had him drive an RS6 and hooked him up with Henessey for mods on the car. He loves the car. It is super powerful and luxurious... 2003 only in the USA. Nice cars! Expensive to maintain though, timing belts at I think 30K intervals.....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Coming from a lotus/mini to an M5 might prove a bit disappointing to you. I had an M5 and my biggest problem was that the fun factor just wasn't there. Especially if you're used to the nimbly handling characteristics of smaller more agile ride. Granted the M5 five will give you great 0-60 performance but the steering feel is very numb, the car feels really heavy (not much road feedback) and it's just not cut out for the occasional spirited driving we've come to appreciate.
My opinion is get the M5 if sporty driving to you is blazing from one red light to the next but if you're looking for that "fun factor" in a more practical sedan I suggest looking at the new M3, 4dr. Great car to drive and practical daily driver. If that's a bit out of the range you're looking at then keep the lotus and throw a few extra dollars on the mini and get an EVO XIII-X. Blazing fast, awesome handling and very practical... Good luck w/ your choice.:shift:

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
i thought they were going to bring the new 09 RS6s to the US. Maybe i'm mistaken about this...any idea?

·
Registered
758 Posts

Thats only a good deal if the dealer is willing to pay you about the same as what you would get selling them yourself.

If the dealer offers you trade in value of 20% or so less than the private party value, you are better off selling the cars yourself and just paying tax on the new one.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts