• The Magnetic Blue Elise

Votes: 23 41.8%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, for a mere $25,000 over MSRP (joke), it looks like I have a choice to switch from my original order:

>Magnetic Blue/Black Interior, Soft top, and Touring Package, Star Shield (about 4-6 week delivery and about $44K); or

>Bordeaux Red Pearl, Hard top, Sport Package, Touring Package, Starshield (about 4 weeks to delivery and about $48K).

Scottsdale is willing to let me switch order and just pay the difference between the two cars (about $4), but I'm having a problem deciding.

Back in March, I pick Magnetic because there weren't too many images of Bordeaux. Also, my old Boxster (lease expired in August) was a similar color. But, the Bordeaux looks really good and elegant. However, Magnetic has a brightness to it without the "look at me!" response red has.

I didn't get a hardtop with the Magnetic because I like the black/blue contrast, but with any other color, I would have gotten a hard top.

As for the sports package, I didn't think the Scottsdale's demo car was too harsh - but I don't really need the sport package. I also wonder how long the softer tires would last.

So, any thoughts?

Magnetic Blue

http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=79055

Bordeaux Red Pearl

http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=71286

·
Registered
472 Posts
Allan,
When my special moment comes (next spring?) to place my order, it will be for Magnetic Blue, std. interior / suspension, hardtop (so it will be color matched correctly). I don't really need the hardtop (I drive an old Alfa top down in the winter anyway), but I really like the looks with the hardtop (like an Exige).
I've seen the Bordeaux Red (my second choice), and would think you might be happy with either color. But I'm completely sold on Mag Blue, and expect there will be fewer of those on the road / at Lotus meets than the BRP.
I suppose that Surfer Jer will weigh in soon with a biased
opinion (BRP) also.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
To be honest, it's hard to go wrong with either color.

I'm getting Magnetic for pretty much the same reasons you gave. The hard top is a tough one for me as well -- I've ordered mine with one, but I doubt I'll use it much. You can always order one later, if you find that you really need one (or buy it from me if I don't need mine :))

As you suggested, I also think the standard suspension should be plenty for street driving. I agree with your concerns regarding tire wear on the sport suspension.

Here's another issue to consider in the sport-vs-standard-suspension dilemma: It's my experience that having wider wheels/tires tends to "dull the responsiveness" of the steering. While absolute grip is lower, narrower front wheels/tires seem to respond/change direction more "quickly". Am I nuts? Does this make sense?

Hope this helps...:)

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Tough call. I have seen Magnetic and I was was really impressed. It was a much more vibrant color than I expected. BRP looks good, but if it were me I'd probably stay with the blue.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for your responses and help.

Sonza makes a good point too. Last December, I was really tore between Magnetic and Ardent. It took a trip to the L.A. auto show to see that Magnetic has a radiance that doesn't photograph well. I think Bordeaux is very close to Porsche's Arena Red, so I think I know what that would like like in person -it's really nice too.

In terms of dollars, my estimates are that a $4,000 difference in price will equal about $50 to $60 difference on payments. I used a 2005 Corvette C6 Coupe to base the lease prices* on and a 60/72 month terms on the finance side.

$50 a month more isn't enough to justify the color change but I don't think the hard top or sport package are too much value to me either. If they were, I would have ordered it on my Magnetic.

Has anyone who's driven both a sports and non-sports package car notice any difference in steering response, ride harshness, cornering ability between the two cars? The only one I've ridden has the LSS.

:confused:

*http://www.acscorp.com/

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
You obviously have to get what you like best, but I much prefer Magnetic Blue over Bordeaux. I probably would have ordered it if it wasn't fairly similar to my current car. For me, Bordeaux is one of those colors that would look nice at first, but I think I would get tired of it. Blue never gets old.

The pictures of Laser Blue look very tasty, too!

Yes, I like blue. :D

·
Registered
758 Posts
If it were me in your shoes, I'd stick with MB just because of the sports package. The tyres aren't *that* much more expensive, but their life-span is only like 8K miles :(

I also wouldn't make use of the package, and it may even result in bad things happening as, from my understanding, the sports pack gives more oversteer.

I think both colours look great though :)

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Randy, thanks for the site. It's a REAL help when you're trying to compare colors -even if it causes some indecision.

Looking at AU111 and Dr. Rattner's Metalic Blue, I had decided to wait for mine:

Then, I came across Surferjet's image with the Bordeaux with the hardtop.

Now, I'm undecided again. One thing I'm sure of is that these are really great cars. To anyone's who's tired of waiting and having second thought (and I can truly relate), hang in there. These cars are worth it! :clap:

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I'd go with the magnetic blue. I like the BRP but think it's almost too "elegant" looking for a feisty little sports car like the Elise.

Admittedly I haven't seen either the MB or the BRP cars in the flesh, just in photos and on the large-ish scale models at the LA auto show, so maybe in person it's a different story.

Also I think unless you really have a good reason to get the LSS (lots of track days etc.) it's not really justified because of the relatively rapid wear on the A048's.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
I'm not going to give you a biased opinion. The colors are both great, and I like to see my car with the hard-top again. It's almost time put it back on.

I will tell you that I don't think I will ever get sick of BRP because it changes so much depending on the light. It's like getting multiple colors!

I recommend BRP not because it's a better color, but because it is loaded (LSS, hard-top) and you'll be glad you got those things. I regret not getting LSS out of the can, and now I have to change it out myself after the fact (a pain, and only aftermarket rims). And the hard-top make it look like a different car altogether.

All that said, there are fewer magnetic blue cars out there to be sure. It's a great color. If you want the options at the price, get BRP. Else, get the blue!

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Unless you want to have the sports pack, I would go with magnetic. Just appeals to me a bit more. Surferjer's approach seems best. See if you need LSS or not.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
choices

LASER BLUE,LASER BLUE,LASER BLUE,LASER BLUE....sorry what was the question?;) :D

·
Super Moderator
6,817 Posts
Hi Allan,

I voted for the BRP car even though that is a tough decision. I have seen Magnetic, but not BRP. In person the Magnetic Blue was amazingly bright and vibrant,which I like. From what I've seen in pics it looks like BRP will be similar but in red.

For me it just comes down to the LSS and hardtop, which I think make the car more complete. This is a pure, precise sports car - you might as well get it in it's most pure and precise configuration. That, and the fact that you obviously like dark red colors and it is coming in a little sooner.

You could always hedge your bets. Wait until the BRP car comes in and check it out. If you're still not sure, then wait until your magnetic comes in and if the BRP car hasn't sold (a possibility) then you have the opportunity to decide between them in person. If it does sell, then it's decided for you. That might be the best way to go.

--Josh

·
Registered
640 Posts
Trust your initial instincts. You obviously had some initial reservatons about BRP, which were not satisfied by the few pics available at the time. Those reservations may now have gone but in the absence of any other reasons (options, $$) for swaying you one way or the other go back to your initial choice.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I flew from Baltmore back home to San Diego today. I decided to arrange for an afternoon layover in Denver so I could go to the Lotus dealer there (www.ferrariofdenver.com) and see the Bordeaux car they have. (Does this mean I am an enthusiast now?) I spent about an hour staring and taking pictures of the three Elises they have, and the Bordeaux was definitely the most attractive color (the others were sliver and Graphite Gray). It looked very nice. I was worried that it might have a lot of maroon in it, but none was noticable. I only saw it inside the showroom, so the paint wasn't the brighter red as it appears in some pictures when in the sun, but it still looked great even in the shade - it looked like a very dark red.

I like the trim to show up as a distinguishing feature of the car. The black trim on the BRP was still quite noticable, and accented the the paint color very nicely. On some of the darker colors (possibly including magnetic blue), it just doesn't stand out well.

Personally, I would pick the BRP over magnetic blue. But, I have to admit, I have only seen pictures, paint chips, and the Jadi diecast models of the magnetic blue. But, my eye tends to be drawn more to nice reds than it is blues. Also, my wife likes red better (and it is good to keep her happy about the toy I want).

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
:confused: So, in the poll results, why does the blue car vote get the red bar, and the red car vote get the blue bar?

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
ChrisH said:
:confused: So, in the poll results, why does the blue car vote get the red bar, and the red car vote get the blue bar?
Fixed!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts