The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Just wanted to first say thank you to everyone for all the great info on this site.

Here is my dilemma, i am looking at two Elises from Norm Baker in Las Vegas. I had heard good things on here about them and they have two cars that i would love to buy, the problem is choosing one, so i need some advice.

car 1
2006 Used Lotus Elise at Norm Baker Motor Co. in Las Vegas, NV - Vehicle Details

this car is going for 25k on ebay with three days to go.

car 2
2007 New Lotus Elise at Norm Baker Motor Co. in Las Vegas, NV - Vehicle Details

They are asking for 43799.

Assuming the one on ebay gets up to the low 30's there will be a 14k difference. They have already approved me for financing for either car, now it is just a matter of deciding whether it is worth the extra money for the new Elise. How does the price on the new elise seem to you guys? good deal or average?

As everyone on this forum has much more experience than me i would love to have a few opinions thrown my way to help me decide.

Thanks again for all the help.

-kain

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
Do you want black or red?

Do you want the sport pack or not?

Do you want the sealed 2007 headlights or not?

I don't know why the PO of the used Elise would have put 17" wheels on the front :shrug:. It is listed as having 17" wheels and a single tire size seemingly all around. I can't tell from the pics if that is the case. Hopefully NB just forgot to list the front size...

BTW the tires on the '06 are not Kuhmos, at least what is shown in the pics.

Price is determined by what you are willing to spend. Many purchased their cars for MSRP and some above that. Many purchase them for less than MSRP. Having said that the price on the '07 doesn't seem off from my perspective.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Sorry to all the dealers out there, but my biggest regret is purchasing new. If I knew then what I know now, I would have purchased used. 14K is a LOT of track time.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the quick responses.

i prefer black but red is a very close second.

i will have to look up the headlight differences, i didn't realize there was one, so thanks for that.

so the tires are the wrong size? or not what they are listed as, i am assuming this is a negative point against the car.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
so black elise with touring, starshield and hard top for $43k
or red elise with touring, starshield, hardtop, and sport pack for $26k

tough call

the 07 does have the better radio, and a lot less miles, is that worth losing $10K+ and the sport pack?

dunno.

other thought, my car is black, and it's a *!&^#%$ to keep clean. =)

Honestly, I'm one of those guys that makes fun of people for buying a new car and paying the new car premium. Buy used and save some extra cash, even if you're just buying a used 07.

Good luck in your decision, you'll love it once you get it.

Oh, one last thought, the 06 will be out of warranty sooner, good and bad here. You might want to get them to kick in an extended warranty as part of the deal. You might also want to get a warranty voiding supercharger!

=D

·
Registered
140 Posts
be patient!

If you look at the VIN of the red one, it was first titled in 5/2006, so you'll only have less than 1 year of warrantly left if you get that one. The reserve price hasn't been met, I honesly doubt the reserve is any less than $36k on that car, probably higher - so the difference in price is may only $6-8k, not $14k.

If price is a very large factor for you, my suggestion is be patient. If you search the completed listings on ebay, you'll see that a brand new 07' recently sold for $37,900 - it had 3k demo miles, but had never been titled and came with the full factory warranty. Some clean titled low miles 05's also have also been going for the high $20's.

Good Luck,
Larez2

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
From what i can tell the Red doesn't have that much going for it other than the sport pack. So i think i will go with the New Black one, again i really appreciate the advice.

So final question is $43k a reasonable price for the new black 07? I have tried to find comparisons at other dealers but there don't seem to be many new 07 elises running around these days.

once again thanks for all the replies.

·
Modern Day Hippie
3,839 Posts
Personal preference would be the black with the touring pack. The iPod hook is priceless to me too. It's great it's already in the 07.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Sorry to all the dealers out there, but my biggest regret is purchasing new. If I knew then what I know now, I would have purchased used. 14K is a LOT of track time.
Just to play Devil's Advocate with Rich...17,000 miles is a lot of track time, especially someone else's track time. Or street racing time. Or time running 87 octane gas. Or any of 1000 other ways to abuse a delicate exotic.

I went new to avoid any possible buyer's remorse with regard to how the previous owner treated the car. If you do go used, be sure to get a second opinion, a Carfax report and an ECU dump as evidence that it hasn't been abused. As Rich said, $14k is a lot of money. Hedge your bets and make sure the car is in good shape. These things are fragile and expensive to fix.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Hands down take the 06, let the first buyer take the big hit. You can do alot with the difference.

Todd :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just sorted through some of the same dilemnas. I chose the 2006. So far, I am extremely happy with my decision. I am sure you will be happy too. (with either car)

·
Registered
424 Posts
I agree with Mackey. It stinks to take the new car hit, but at least you have the full warranty, plus you know the history like he said. I buy all my cars new, because I generally keep them for a long time. My DD is a 97 4Runner with 210K miles on it, but I take really good care of it. I just got a new 07 last week and do not regret it.

·
Registered
891 Posts
just a question ,

why the red one is not equiped as 06 model with probax ??

IMHO , go for the black one .
the difference will be less than 8k ....

·
Registered
943 Posts
Curious as to why you are so hot on these two cars? There are other elises for sale across the country. I'd buy used - out of state if need be - I did and have no regrets. Yes, these cars are "exotic" but deep down they have a toyota drivetrain- it's not like an abused esprit. If I were you, I'd buy used - but not this one. I'd find the car that is exactly what you want that hasn't been on the track so much. The car is out there just keep looking. My 0.02

Oh, yeah... and if I were you, I'd buy an exige instead.:evil:

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I was interested in used red one at first, and after getting in contact with mandi at NB she said they had a new black 07. I spent about 4 hours last night going through the inventory of every lotus dealership listed on the the forum here, and i could only find 3 07 elises that fit what i was looking for, I am going to make some calls today but i think that the difference in price between used and new is small enough that i am going to go new. IF i sell it i will deal with depreciation then, but i think i will be happier with a new one in the long run.

Again thanks everyone for the helpful replies, i am on a lot of different forums and i have to say that this is one of the most welcoming and informative i have been on in a long time.

-kain

1 - 20 of 20 Posts