The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've come to a point where I'm trying to liquidate my small fleet of cars. I'm trying to reduce debt load as well so I'll be prepared to buy the Elise when it comes in. (My current contract runs out on August 26 and I'm not sure when I'll pick-up another client. Negative cash flow is an amazing motivator! :p )

These are the cars I'm selling for sure:

2003 Mustang Mach 1
1984 Mustang SVO

This is the car I'm keeping for sure:

1987 Mazda RX-7 (my late father's only sports car)

So now I have to decide between these two:

1997 Audi A4 (5-speed, 167K miles, trouble free, paid for)
2002 Audi A4 Avant (tiptronic, 52K miles, extended warranty, paid for)

The obvious advantage to selling the '02 is that I'll get the most money for it. I tried to sell the '97 but I got ridiculous (I thought) offers. Should I just accept the ridiculous offer (under $5K) for a car that still runs like a top with zero problems? Or sell the newer Avant because it will give me about 4 times the amount the '97 Audi will?

Sorry guys... I'm a bit tormented by this and I'm not sure what to do. Any ideas/thoughts welcomed!

Bob

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
My thoughts. Cars are either: 1) objects of emotional value; 2) basic means of transportation.

Between the two Audis, if niether has any emotional appeal, then they are just means of transportation. Considering the older Audi can provide the same means of transportation, then why would you pay (or not make more) in keeping it?

That's just my $.02. It's the basis on why my car wish list is very short, as opposed to really, really cheap beater cars that I could get just to get me from point a to point b.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Well how important is reliable daily transportation to you ;)

If it were me I would keep the newer car to have a reliable car that won't take continued investment. Any car with 167K miles is going to have upkeep costs, even if you've avoided them so far.

Plus, I would personally prefer to keep the manual trans, but the Avant is a nice feature (if you need the space).

If you really need the cash, sell the '02, if you think you want no hassle transporation sell the '97.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
True... and good points. My "Automotive Wish List" is actually very short: The Lotus Elise. Don't get me wrong... I'd love a Ford GT also, but I know I can't afford one. And I most likely wouldn't enjoy it as often since I'd take a Ford GT out on special occassions only. The Lotus Elise is a car that I plan on driving every weekend and the occassional Friday to work (whatever that next job will be! :p )

As for the Audis... both have been customized to suit my tastes. Both lowered on Eibach springs, shocks, sway bars, larger tires/wheels... I truly like them both. And I'm actually emotionally attached to both. That's why it's such a tough decision for me.

Sigh...

Bob

·
Registered
387 Posts
I hope you don't find yourself in my situation ... the market seems to have made a decision for me. I can't sell either of my cars

Apparently its a buyers wet dream for Carreras right now, so much so that I'm going to keep my 87 911 rather than give it away

The near-perfect 99 528i I spent $10k upgrading hasn't had a single Autotrader response in 2-3 months (except the guys that want me to ship it overseas for "moneys", I get a couple of them a week)

The only thing I could sell right now is the Honda Pilot, but the kids would have to go with it :)

Steve

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Re: Re: Help me decide which car stays and becomes my "daily driver"

Allan Gibbs said:
My thoughts. Cars are either: 1) objects of emotional value; 2) basic means of transportation.

Between the two Audis, if niether has any emotional appeal, then they are just means of transportation. Considering the older Audi can provide the same means of transportation, then why would you pay (or not make more) in keeping it?
agreed.

If you feel confident that the 97 will last another 60-70K (what's that, 3 years the way your drive?), then why not sell the new one and get more for it? If you think the 97 is heading towards the end or will need major repairs in the near future, get rid of it while it still runs. If you're up to the task, put all the stock parts back on, sell if for $500 less than you would otherwise & sell all the aftermarket stuff for a $1000+ (I'm sure wheels, springs, shocks and sways will fetch over a grand)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts