The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was all ready to go tomorrow AM with a purchase (see deciding post next), but when I called the guy who quoted me a good insurance rate, it would not accept the VIN for an Exige S. It came up with the same insurance rating as a Ferrari (a 26 whatever that means). So far, all I can find is from Progressive. They basically write it like a antique (covered by value) Way expensive!

If anyone can point me to a company that will first off actually insure the Exige and better yet give me a reasonable rate. I have frikin excellent credit, a great job, married, 40 years old (hence the Lotus ;)), own my own home, and a good driving record. I realize the insurance will be signifigantly more then my Mazda 3, but, this is not a freking $200K DB9.

·
Registered
333 Posts
How much did Progressive quote you? Are you going directly to them or through an agent? If you are trying directly though them get yourself a nice agent. I have my Exige insured all alone on its own policy from Progressive and it is only $720 for 6 months. Even then that rate is high due to a screw up with Geico from almost 5 years ago. In October my rate falls even further because the screw up is gone and I should be around $600 for 6 months. I am quite a bit younger than you, but great credit, job, married, and own many other cars as well.

Good luck!

-Alex-

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I was all ready to go tomorrow AM with a purchase (see deciding post next), but when I called the guy who quoted me a good insurance rate, it would not accept the VIN for an Exige S. It came up with the same insurance rating as a Ferrari (a 26 whatever that means). So far, all I can find is from Progressive. They basically write it like a antique (covered by value) Way expensive!

If anyone can point me to a company that will first off actually insure the Exige and better yet give me a reasonable rate. I have frikin excellent credit, a great job, married, 40 years old (hence the Lotus ;)), own my own home, and a good driving record. I realize the insurance will be signifigantly more then my Mazda 3, but, this is not a freking $200K DB9.
I am in the woodlands and my elise insurance is very cheap. Almost as cheap as for my liability only wagon. I'll tell you who I use for a case of beer!

Just kidding: Travelers Insurance

·
Registered
2,361 Posts

I am in the woodlands and my elise insurance is very cheap. Almost as cheap as for my liability only wagon. I'll tell you who I use for a case of beer!

Just kidding: Travelers Insurance

·
Registered
347 Posts

I use Liberty Mutual. I only pay something like $900 a year for my 2007 Elise. I would not think that the Exige would be that much more.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Don't know what part of Texas you are in, but I am in Houston at the highest insurance rated area and with full coverage on three cars, two of which are Lotus, and am paying 2500 a year. Take note, you'll get different rate quotes from different agents.
Call Ron Bell 281-395-9500. State Farm

Also, never have had an issue with claims. Thhey have replaced the windshield on my 89 Esprit three times in the past 17 years.

good luck.

·
Registered
365 Posts
If you are keeping the Mazda3, and the Exige S can be considered a pleasure vehicle, call up a specialty car insurance company, like Hagerty. It will likely only be a couple hundred per year. I switched our Elise from Travelers to Hagerty a while back.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thank you all for your posts. If anyone is willing to post there agent's name like Alphonse that would be helpful.

When I originally looked into this, I was getting quotes on an Elise. Apparently, there is a significant difference between the Elise and the Exige.

My current insurance company is AIG. They flat out said no to any Lotus. Several other places said the same. I will move both my wife's and my daily drivers over with the Lotus policy.

Seems like even the people posting have a pretty big range in prices.

I think the thing that is getting to me is that the agents are reacting like this is a UFO or something.

If anyone gives me a lead that I use, a case of beer and a snickers bar are in order..

By the way, are there any local get-togethers or drives in Houston?

Thanks, Ben.

Edit Note: By the way, I am in Harris County (More expensive) and in the Heights (again More expensive). $600 in Plano would probably translate to $900 in my area.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Thank you all for your posts. If anyone is willing to post there agent's name like Alphonse that would be helpful.

When I originally looked into this, I was getting quotes on an Elise. Apparently, there is a significant difference between the Elise and the Exige.

My current insurance company is AIG. They flat out said no to any Lotus. Several other places said the same. I will move both my wife's and my daily drivers over with the Lotus policy.

I think the thing that is getting to me is that the agents are reacting like this is a UFO or something.

If anyone gives me a lead that I use, a case of beer and a snickers bar are in order..

Thanks, Ben.

Edit Note: By the way, I am in Harris County (More expensive) and in the Heights (again More expensive). $600 in Plano would probably translate to $900 in my area.
The Liberty Mutual sales office number is 281-392-4333. I have 3 cars with them and pay 2000 a year and that is even with a current comprehensive claim on file, so you might find the rates even cheaper.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Ben, you can try my agent:

Charles Osbourne - (281) 453-0177

He's through Farmer's, and I end up paying just under $100 a month for the lotus (multicar discount, and listed as a weekend/pleasure vehicle, but also includes gap).

Not sure how much difference there would be for the Exige though, never thought the rates would be that different...

I think if you could find a good deal through Hagerty like the others mentioned, that might be your best bet!

·
Registered
1,212 Posts

Thanks, Ben.

Ben,

I live real close to you, other side of Washington by the park so your rates should be about the same.

There is a local Lotus owners club in town known as LOST, Lotus Owners of South Texas. 300+ members, some international. We meet at Star motor cars the second Saturday of every month and membership is free.
This Saturday we are meeting at one of our club members clubhouse. Real interesting place with lots of auto eye candy.
If you are interested in coming out and meeting some of the gang I can meet you at Star 9:00 am this saturday and you can follow me down to Alvin where the clubhouse is. I may be leading another new guy there as well.

email me direct if you are interested or if you have any Lotus questions.

See ya,

Al "phonse" B.
[email protected]

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It is DONE!!!

Well, today was a very frustrating day, but in the end, all is well.

If anyone is looking for insurance (Texas or elsewhere), call Hagerty!!

Talk to Mat Smith (extension 8243).

Not only was he very helpful, but the price was the best. Will be under $1,200 for a full YEAR. That is for $50,000 value, $0 deductible, and 100/300/100 coverage. They write this a collector car by Value.

Travelers was quite good, but they required all my cars to be insured with them. Problem was that the insurance on the other cars was almost as much as the Lotus. My current insurance for the other cars is quite good.

Thanks again for everyones input. If all goes well tomorrow will have my Exige by 3:00 PM Thursday. My wife and I will be attending the LOST get-together on Sat. Hopefully I will get to meet a few of you then.

Ben.

·
Registered
425 Posts
subscribing for when i move to Tx and finally get a lotus lol.. good info guys.. congrats on the get.. have fun driving her..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.