The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this spring I finally was able to supercharge my 2005 Elise. I went with the Vision Function Stage II Supercharger package and an ACT HDSS clutch with a Stage II exhaust and the Sector 111 urethane SPORTinserts engine mount inserts. The resulting performance and feel of the car is incredible... to me.

My wife would say otherwise.

She LOVED the Elise almost as much as I did before the mods. This was a lot of fun to enjoy it together, not to mention that she financially supported my habit of aftermarket mods for it.

Now she refuses to ride in it at all and has no interest in driving it either, as she says the sound/vibrations bother her inner ears so badly that she gets instantly nauseated, dizzy, and basically car-sick. Now the car divides us because only I can enjoy it. She has somewhat come to terms with this but it's definitely sucked a good part of the fun out of it for us, not to mention no more road trips in the Elise. (We recently drove in separate cars on a trip that was going to run through mountain twisties so that I could drive the Lotus and we could both still go)

So, anyone else have this problem after those mods? What did you try? Would it help if I removed the engine mount inserts? Would the car be safe/stable without them? Would it make no difference?

What if I removed the inserts and went back to stock exhaust? Could the supercharger kit breathe well enough through the original exhaust? Would the added power with supercharger still rattle my wife's brains despite those changes?

Suggestions/input appreciated

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Has she tried with earplugs in? I know what she is talking about, my car does the same to me on the highway if I don't have earplugs in.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
you should trade it in for something you both can enjoy.

I'm talking about the wife btw :D

·
Registered
205 Posts
Why post an issue like this, she does not like the vehicle cases 2 change the vehicle or change ur spouse case 1. 1 or 2 why even post this sorry story Oh I have a Lotus someone listen to a ???? post. :thwack:

·
Registered
693 Posts
Stage II exhaust for starters.... go with something that doesn't drone as bad or doesn't drone at all.

Not sure if the VF setup requires a clutch upgrade but if it's anything like ACT's that I've driven, they are stiff.... another point of contention for her.

The inner ear issue is the exhaust. Get a SC exhaust that has no drone.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Why post an issue like this, she does not like the vehicle cases 2 change the vehicle or change ur spouse case 1. 1 or 2 why even post this sorry story Oh I have a Lotus someone listen to a ???? post. :thwack:
Good point Mr(s) happy2behere !
Most people do not learn from other's mistakes so it is probably a wasted post.

OP - A friend said the same thing about different mounts (S1 Elise).
He removed them and he and his son and his wife like it better.

Just pull out the mount and put the OEM ones in. I doubt that the car is any better on track, and obviously not any good on the road with here not in it..

There may be someone else who read this and avoids those fancy mounts, or you can sell them. Either way you are ahead.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I understood everything up to "vehicle". Whatever happened to punctuations? I truly have read the post multiple times. I know it is somehow reprimanding him, but I still don't understand anything he says after "vehicle". Could someone please translate?

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Suggestions/input appreciated

dont touch the mounts! let them settle in & they wont cause so much vibration after a few months (but that also means you need to drive the car, letting it sit because your family complains about riding in it wont help the low rpm/idle vibrations that the inserts naturally cause)... i have the inserts as well & im not taking them out for anything since i love how they have firmed up the shifting feel

the clutch is fine too, you will get used to it & the engagement wont be so harsh (& i doubt that is whats causing the complaints)...

with that said the biggest complaint they have is the exhaust noise... the less restriction you have means the louder its going to get. so you need to make a choice to either please the family or keep yourself happy (i vote keep yourself happy & dont touch anything if you like the way it performs)... but im also not married & my GF, little brother & sister love riding in my Elise

otherwise either have a custom exhaust done up with a large enough resonator or put the stock one back on... or search around for other setups that are known to have a reasonably low drone level... but its going to be hard to get rid of that sound with any aftermarket setup thats intended to give a more aggressive note... thats the way it works

earplugs may help, but i can only imagine the response you will get from the wife if you show her a pack of plugs & tell her to wear them while riding/driving in the car (if shes female shes most likely going to take that the wrong way haha)

good luck champ! it sounds like you have a battle to fight, now that the goodies are installed... but if it puts a smile on your face then your family may just have to suffer in my opinion

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
How to get her back in the car.... Have Magic Mike or Fabio (depending on her age) drive it.
On the serious side, you changed the character of the car to be more "race-like". Anyone who autocrosses or does track runs will like the changes. Get her into autocrossing, where she will learn to love the "racey bits". If she has no interest in racing, then softer engine mounts and a quieter exhaust will probably tame down her unfavorable perception of the car being too racey. My GF likes racing, she autocrosses with me (she drives a Miata). My only challenge is she constantly asks to drive my car at the track. She has never complained about the Lotus Racey bits (she actually gets annoyed if I am driving it "like a grandma").

·
Registered
389 Posts
It seems that happy2behere thinks the OP is a thinly veiled bragging session. That McDougieFresh is really just wanting to talk about having a Lotus, esp. a modified, faster one, rather than actually trying to address a problem. And he thinks that the OP should either "lose the car or lose the wife".

I think maybe he is just not ... well ... happy to be here. IMO, he is way out in left field. Disregard his comment.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
also, if you do put the stock exhaust back on, the whine from the SC will be more prominent since the noise level from the exhaust wont overrun it

so either way you slice it there will be a noise that the wife/kid just simply might not understand

& the stock exhaust wont really choke the SC setups power, but it certainly wont gain any either... look at the bright side though... if you choose to go back to the stock piece, the stage 2 will be much easier to sell on the forums.

·
Registered
07 Exige S
1,525 Posts
I can relate man. My wife hates my Lotus. I had posted as much previously.

I can attest myself that the vibrations after a couple days worth of driving can give me a headache and body ache. I have as of yet not found any way around the visceral-ness of the vehicle.

It's not easy, but I have just resigned myself that it's my toy. A expensive damn toy and even though my wife does not really care for it much I do... It's certainly a selfish response, but well she had nothing to do with the purchase and I intend on making it an even keener edged vehicle so either revert it back to what it was, but with the SC you really can't do that.

You changed the car ! It's what you want. I think a passenger would feel even more helpless in a way in these cars like one would as a passenger on a motorcycle.

My last ditch ploy is to teach her to drive it ( have her learn manual on another vehicle ) and then maybe she will enjoy cruising in it herself. Classic case of unintended consequences:shrug:

As for myself I just like uncompromising toys that I employ only when I am in the mood. I can't orchestrate my wifes moods to those of mine. I drive like a blooming idiot sometimes so well like the others said, reverse the mounts, get another vehicle, get another wife ( Whatever )

or just accept it !

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Was that even in English?

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
It seems that happy2behere thinks the OP is a thinly veiled bragging session. That McDougieFresh is really just wanting to talk about having a Lotus, esp. a modified, faster one, rather than actually trying to address a problem. And he thinks that the OP should either "lose the car or lose the wife".

I think maybe he is just not ... well ... happy to be here. IMO, he is way out in left field. Disregard his comment.
How in the world could you even understand what happy2behere was saying?

·
Premium Member
2,141 Posts
Saying he case 1 was case 2 because. Then, wife not because case 2. Why understand you notly then case 2 because case 1?

SwingLo, posting because case, not because wife. Because, case 1 or case 2, OP not. Part understandinging this which of notly you?

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Saying he case 1 was case 2 because. Then, wife not because case 2. Why understand you notly then case 2 because case 1?

SwingLo, posting because case, not because wife. Because, case 1 or case 2, OP not. Part understandinging this which of notly you?

·
Registered
7,088 Posts
Our Elise became more and more "racey" as time went by. Somewhere along the way it became just plain impractical for street use. Noise, vibration, looks, even harness.

We're fortunate to be able to have an Evora as well now. So the pure track experience is there, but very comfortable cruising and trips are too.

Maybe the Evora was developed for your situation?

Relationships mean compromise. Some of us have SOs who appreciate the wilder side, in many ways. Sometimes we feel that our inner 15 year old is being murdered.

A Lotus can be a useful way to measure a potential relationship. Sort of like "do you like sushi?". Helps to cull out the timid.

Let us know what happens.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts