The Lotus Cars Community banner

Would you consider not buying a car because it's called "Dannati" (Damned)?

• Yes, I might consider not buying it

Votes: 17 23.6%
  • The name doesn't affect my opinion of the car

Votes: 41 56.9%
  • I think it's a really cool name! Do it!!!

Votes: 14 19.4%
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm starting a car manufacturing company with my cousin, who's an engineer.

Our mission is to innovate road-car performance in ways that have never been seen, to make vehicles (cars, bikes, and trucks) that will outperform anything else on the road.

So we've been throwing around some names, and we pretty much settled on Dannati Motors. Dannati is an Italian word that means "damned".

EDIT: OK, so based on poll results and comments, we decided AGAINST Dannati.

OPEN TO IDEAS!!!

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
Dannati is fine if it is the name of a really COOL car. :bow:

Good luck with it!

P.S. I Googled it and came up with this, which is either hell or the awards stand at the Belgium Grand Prix:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
People likely won't know what it means (Heck, I didn't 'til now:)) - or probably care to know. They'll probably think it's some Italian dude's name or something. Ferrari could mean 'a flaming sack of dog crap' as far as most people know. They'd still buy them. If the name becomes a handicap, provide an explanation of the name's origin/intention (like what you did here) with an advertising flair.

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My whole argument to myself as to why it's ok is the Lamborghini DIABLO (Devil).

But :shrug:

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
My whole argument to myself as to why it's ok is the Lamborghini DIABLO (Devil).

But :shrug:

but..DIABLO is the devil!!!:huh:

People wont care what the name is as long as you do good work.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
I think it would make a better model name than a make. I probably wouldn't name my first model that unless it truly was a world beater.

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Another thought... What about "Dei Dannati"? That means "Of the Damned".

Then I can name the cars things like "Notte Dei Dannati" (Night of the Damned), "Spada Dei Dannati" (Sword of the Damned), etc.

Better or worse than just plain "Dannati"?

Or maybe "i Dannati" - the proper Italian phrase for "The Damned"... otherwise, it's just the plural of the adjective "damned", which would lead to "damned what?"

·
Registered
431 Posts
Sounds a lot like Domani Motors which is also in FL.

I think most people wouldn't care what you called it but like someone stated already, I think it'd be a good name for the model and not the name of the manufacturer.

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
Our mission is to innovate road-car performance in ways that have never been seen, to make vehicles (cars, bikes, and trucks) that will outperform anything else on the road.
I'm curious: what makes you believe that you and your cousin can be more innovative and clever than the best engineers and designers that Lotus, Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini, VW, Audi, Pagani, Koenigsegg, Noble, McLaren, Williams, Honda, Toyota, etc. can find?

I ask because you obviously are willing to sacrifice time and effort in your design company to pursue this, and you didn't simply state that you think it would be fun to try to build a great car. As you are a pragmatic guy most of the time, I'm curious what your reasoning is that you will be able to succeed - and even innovate - where countless others have failed over and over again, all the while beating the best efforts of the largest and smallest companies that are currently creating these vehicles of all types.

Either way, good luck.

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
It reminds of me when the Chevy Nova in Spanish meant "doesn't go" and was not selling. Why would you want a name saying this company is damned- from the beginning?

Whatever you name it I I think the first model should be called the Defcon 3- because that just sounds like it would be pretty BA

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I'm curious: what makes you believe that you and your cousin can be more innovative and clever than the best engineers and designers that Lotus, Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini, VW, Audi, Pagani, Koenigsegg, Noble, McLaren, Williams, Honda, Toyota, etc. can find?

I ask because you obviously are willing to sacrifice time and effort in your design company to pursue this, and you didn't simply state that you think it would be fun to try to build a great car. As you are a pragmatic guy most of the time, I'm curious what your reasoning is that you will be able to succeed - and even innovate - where countless others have failed over and over again, all the while beating the best efforts of the largest and smallest companies that are currently creating these vehicles of all types.
Good question, but I can't answer it without either giving away the patentable ideas or coming off as extremely arrogant.

Let me just give you some insight into our vehicles:

1. The first is a road car that will get 200 mph+ in straights and 2+ G turns... these, of course, are rough estimates without having done any calculations. I think that would beat pretty much any other road car on pretty much any track in the world.

2. We also have a design for a 3-wheeled leaner motorcycle that will ride exactly like a regular bike, but will have a full frame around the rider - better protection. The concept here is to make a bike that will appeal to aged 30+ riders. The innovation is in the suspension... I invented a leaner that is extremely simple, and completely mechanical (no silly computer stuff).

3. Finally, I have a design for a high-performance pickup truck that will out-perform most sports cars.... even with a 500 pound load in the bed! :)

But talk is cheap. :)

1 - 20 of 83 Posts