The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as many of you know I havent been here much since I sold my Elise a couple months ago. . . and now I need a new hobby for the next year before I move overseas. I want to find a car that I can buy for under $5k and spend the next year restoring. I would like to find something with no body damage/rust and a running engine (engine work is fine, but want to stay away from a complete engine swap/replacement due to limited time). I also want something with the same feel as a Lotus. . . light weight convertible with great handling.
:shift:

Currently I am looking at 1960s-1970s: MGB, MG Midget, Triumph TR-6, Triumph Spitfire, Fiat Spider. . . Suggestions are more than welcome and personal experience is a plus! And yes I would like an old Elan, but I cant find any within the price range in good condition.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I've had my MGB for nearly 20 years now.

and in that time I think I've had just about everything replaced or worked on.
and I mean _everything_.
Fortunately, I think as far as old british roadsters go, parts are somewhat plentiful for MGB's.

Having spent perhaps 10x what I paid for it on repairs, I'm actually a bit scared to ever think about selling it, but it's fun having a little roadster.
I just make sure not to drive it more than 20 miles away, just in case.

It sure aint a Lotus tho when it comes to handling!

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
My best friend and I spent a lot of time working on a '74 MGB in high school and college. I have a soft spot in my heart for them, but if I were buying an MG to restore it would probably be an MGA. Much prettier cars, IMO.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I love the MGAs, but price is the issue. Looking hard at some early 60s MG Midgets. Some decent priced ones on ebay.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
I'd consider a porsche 914.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah just trying to get a feel for a good price on an early 60s Midget. . . looks like I should be able to get one in decent shape for under $5k somewhat easily. Just need to decide if I am willing to ship or drive back to TX. Anyone know good sites for MG car sales?

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ill sell u a fully restorable 1967 lincoln continental sedan with the suicide doors for cheap!!!
If gas wasnt so damn expensive I might actually entertain that.

As for the 914. . . they are considerably more expensive and I would imagine the parts would be too. I have been thinking about the Austin Healey's as well. . . gorgeous cars!!!

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
If gas wasnt so damn expensive I might actually entertain that.

As for the 914. . . they are considerably more expensive and I would imagine the parts would be too. I have been thinking about the Austin Healey's as well. . . gorgeous cars!!!
its all good, if you like it you know where to find me :up:

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
There is a 914 that needs some engine work for $2900 around here.

I would say an MGB GT would be interesting, but nothing is going to be close to the lotus other than a near race spec 914-6.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Put up some pictures for us. . . we always love some good pictures!
i will soon as i get a chance, i have 3 classic cars i wanna move for space issues and might pick up a 69roadrunner 383 air grabber V8 w/ matching numbers to the stable beep,beep :shift:

·
Registered
317 Posts
I'd be looking at British roadsters from the sixties through the early seventies. I'm partial to chrome bumper MGB's because of pricing, parts, and support. You won't find a big Healey for $5K in any condition, and a decent bugeye might be tough as well. A later Sprite/ Midget might be an option. I'd also look at Triumph.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts