The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be heading from central VA to Cadillac, MI next month with the oldest RoadKid and have been trying to plan fun and exciting things to do along the way.

We've boiled the trip down to try to stay off of the interstates and take back roads/the scenic route as much as possible. But that's about as far as we've gotten.

Please share some suggestions for us between Blacksburg, VA and Detroit, MI for stop offs and excitement. What should we definitely not miss while on the drive? This will help us plan the exact route that we will be taking. I figure by the time we hit Detroit she'll be ready to just reach our destination, but if you want to suggest between the motor city and Cattle Tracks, please do.

:shift:

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Depending on age and interests there is Dinosaur land in VA apx. 15 miles out side of Winchester where rout 522 and 340 meet. Its a bunch of life size cement dinos for the kids run around and climb on and stuff. Total road side attraction! I am still trying to convince my wife to stop by and check it out with me one time.

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
twaszak1 said:
detour to come see us at FVMC. :wave:

T.J.
T.J.,

I actually thought about that so I could meet you and John in person. Sadly, Chicago is just a little too far of a detour, unless of course you are going to install a free supercharger for me :evil:.

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Depending on age and interests there is Dinosaur land in VA apx. 15 miles out side of Winchester where rout 522 and 340 meet. Its a bunch of life size cement dinos for the kids run around and climb on and stuff. Total road side attraction! I am still trying to convince my wife to stop by and check it out with me one time.
We have pictures of this daughter (now 10) almost every year from age 3 to 8 at Dinosaur land. She still says that she wants to be a paleontologist every once in a while.

I also have a picture of me as a kid at Dinosaur land. It was a completely different place 30+ years ago.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
T.J.,

I actually thought about that so I could meet you and John in person. Sadly, Chicago is just a little too far of a detour, unless of course you are going to install a free supercharger for me :evil:.
:(

if by free you mean our regular install price....sure...lol.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Take the Blue Ridge Parkway! Otherwise, nothing out of the ordinary to speak of on the drive. You could go the opposite way to Radford for a quick pep rally. Or you could take a few spins around the drill field to warm up your tires. Sorry, nothing else to recommend.

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We were thinking about going through Charleston, WVa to Columbus, OH to Toledo, OH, Ann Arbor, MI... unless there is a nicer way.

So nothing good to see along the way, huh?

·
Premium Member
3,016 Posts
Just north of Jersey Shore PA....near Williamsport....Route 144.

Take it north to Galeton...then west on 6 to 90.

The drive up 144 will MAKE the trip.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Take the Blue Ridge Parkway! Otherwise, nothing out of the ordinary to speak of on the drive. You could go the opposite way to Radford for a quick pep rally. Or you could take a few spins around the drill field to warm up your tires. Sorry, nothing else to recommend.
+1
Get on skyline drive near blacksburg and head north either all the way to front royal or get off when you've had enough. After that I am sure you can find interesting roads thru west va, ohio etc but for VA, definitely don't skip blueridge parkway/skyline drive.

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We live on the BRP. I can walk to it through my back yard (have to cut through the federal land between mine and the BRP) and we drive it regularly. It's beautiful.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
Not much to see / do between Detroit and Cadillac....BUT I know there are some great roads up there.... I'll get a list together for ya.... OH...and you have a PM.

·
Registered
148 Posts
At least two stops I can think of. The Football Hall of Fame and Mid-Ohio race course. I would think any roads other than interstates between Blacksburg and Mid-Ohio should be a blast. After Mid-Ohio just hit the gas cuz it's flat all the way to Cadillac.

Oh yeah, there's also Cedar Point.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts