The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at a driving trip. For various reason, certain points on the map are set.

I will be starting in Asheville, NC.

The goal is to get to anything cool along the way, and using the best roads. I will probably make some attempt to do some of Route 66 along the way to the west coast. I can't dawdle too much.

The first phase is Deals Gap, or Tail of the Dragon. Have to do that. But after that, then what? Head towards Lynchburg? I might head down to Huntsville Alabama for a business meeting, but not sure.

I had some thoughts of hooking up with Route 66 at Joplin Missouri, and then taking I-40/66 all the way to Los Angeles.

Or should go further south through Texas?

Are there some cool roads heading west along this general route I should consider?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
atyclb wrote:
gotta hit Austin and the Hill Country
No doubt! Driving over the continental divide is a pretty awesome thing.

I'd probably see if you could manage to get up toward I-40 and head down through Sedona (gorgeous!) and into Scottsdale/Phoenix for the night. From there, maybe a straight shot on the 10 and a side trip to Las Vegas? And catch-up with old Route 66 and drive that into Los Angeles?

If you're seriously doing this trip, let me know if you'd like to borrow my Magellan Roadmate 700. It doesn't show state boundaries, but it's actually very accurate and does list cities you'll be crossing through.

Bob

·
Registered
963 Posts
After The Dragon, you need to go northwest. Do roads in CO, The Needles in SD, do the Beartooth Highway in MT, drive through The Grand Tetons, drive The Columbia River Gorge, then take Highway 101, cut over and do the redwood forests, then back to 101 until you get to your destination.

That would be my dream drive.:clap:

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
I 2nd the drive through Colorado, you're going to hit some plains on US40 in MO/KS and easter CO but after that the Rockies are spectacular.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I'll second the Beartooth Highway in MT and CO, both places I've nearly wrecked rental cars on the twisties and wished I had an elise.

·
shay2nak
25,044 Posts
MikeAR303 said:
Avoid the midwest at all costs ;)
avoid Ventura county in CA at all costs. unless, that is, you don't mind getting speeding tickets.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts