The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been in Asia for the past 15 mos. My son did not feel comfortable driving the Exige for me once in a while, so I asked him to start it once per week. I guess he did a few times right after I left but then waited too long and the battery went dead. I told him to leave it alone and I would deal with it when I came back on vacation. I ordered a new DEKA battery from Sector 111 that was delivered the day before I returned. Hooked it up today. All the instruments, lights, Etc went on. But lo it does not start. Not even a click. I let it sit for a few minutes with the key on to see if something needed to charge but it still did not start. PLEASE DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS??????? I am only back in the states for 3 weeks and want to have it running by the time I leave. THANKS.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Jump start? Check fuses in the engine bay as well if I remember right. Sounds like some electrical systems are working if the lights work so either the battery might be defective or not have enough juice to turn it over. Just a guess, don't shoot me.

·
Premium Member
11,991 Posts
We can't assume your new battery is fully charged enough to turn starter. (Lights need < power.)

Can you hook up either a smart (e.g. Battery Tender) charger or a regular type?

Was wondering if you could've connected to a smart charger while away.

Have you a voltmeter?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
just tried to jump start with my Jag but still nothing. It ran fine the day I left. The start button light is on. Has anyone else had this same problem after sitting and what did they have to do to correct it? I will check the fuses but could it be something else.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
When you disable the alarm (first), and then turn on the ignition, do you hear the fuel pump cycle?
When you turn on the headlamps on bright (while the front of your car is pointed at a wall), do they slightly dim when you hit the starter button?
And to repeat an earlier question, do you own a multimeter? The tests you could do with a multimeter would allow you to completely isolate the fault.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. I LEFT IT SLAVED TO THE JAG FOR ABOUT 10 MINUTES AND IT KICKED OVER. I REMEMBER THE GUY AT SECTOR 111 TOLD ME THE LIGHTWEIGHT BATTERY DOES NOT HOLD A CHARGE VERY LONG BUT FIGURED IT WOULD AT LEAST "CLICK" IF IT WAS LOW. THANKS AGAIN. I AM ALL SMILES.

·
Premium Member
11,991 Posts
May I suggest that you get a voltmeter and learn to use it. (It's easy & really handy)

Again, can you h/u a Battery Tender when you next leave?

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Doesn't matter if you get a new battery or not. Most new batteries have been sitting on the shelf for a few months anyways. Even with a brand new battery, I trickle charge it back up before use.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts