Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is hooked up wrong?

TYIA and screw you dealer who installed them wrong. :D

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
Now go take any other car and try turning on the front (or rear) fog lights without the low beams on and you will find the exact same result.
Nothing wrong with your car.
Just the term driving light is misleading.
They are acually fog lights.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Now go take any other car and try turning on the front (or rear) fog lights without the low beams on and you will find the exact same result.
Nothing wrong with your car.
Really, the other thread people said they should come on with the brights and people flash their brights at me when I leave them on with the low beams. Do I just need to re-aim them?

This and other thread say high beam only

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f322/question-about-light-kit-lotus-elise-87403/

·
Registered
305 Posts
Both the 05 i had and the 06 i have turned the driving lights on with high beams. I'm wanting to change it to low beams! but ya, both cars seem to have the lights pointing a bit high which will annoy on coming traffic, Maybe try aim them and get them to stay there and it wont be a problem any more.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would prefer they come on with high beams like the are supposed to.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
nope, at least on the fed cars they're driving lights designed to come on with the headlights

evilfig - make sure the relay under the dash is in properly

·
Registered
305 Posts
I've only had 111R's, so not federals, and mine aren't fog lights. the rear fog lights come on with the bottom switch but it does nothing to the front driving lights. Maybe the German cars are different to the other 111R's?

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
nope, at least on the fed cars they're driving lights designed to come on with the headlights

evilfig - make sure the relay under the dash is in properly
Which relay? How can you install a relay wrong? They only go one way at least the ones I have seen.

·
Premium Member
2,114 Posts
I bought mine from my dealer, and they came with all parts including a new relay. This forces the driving lights to come on only with the regular headlights. At least where I live, that's the law. You are not allowed to have 4 high beams. Not sure that's true everywhere.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Which relay? How can you install a relay wrong? They only go one way at least the ones I have seen.
It's been a while since I fitted mine so my memory of it is a little hazy but if I remember the relay is what caused mine not to work. Didnt install it wrong but due to the location up under the middle of the dash we thought it was in correctly but it was cocked and not in fully, Took us a while to work that one out....... If its not that I'm out of ideas, sorry

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The driving light relay is triggered by an input from the high beam head light relay in the SPM (Switch Pack Module), so how they are coming on with the low beams seems impossible.
Michael
Its British. The heater in my defender stays on when the key is off. So maybe it is the module? Any other ideas?

·
Premium Member
2,114 Posts
The driving light relay is triggered by an input from the high beam head light relay in the SPM (Switch Pack Module), so how they are coming on with the low beams seems impossible.
Michael
SirLotus, I realized my last note wasn't clear. My driving lights can be turned on at any time by using the illuminated (in blue) third switch in the light switch panel. If they are on, and you then activate the high beams, the driving lights turn off, and the high beams are on. When you turn the high beams off, the driving lights come back on (as long as the switch is still on).

I don't believe any other lights need to be on (of course, the DRL's are always on when the car is on).

I like the look of the driving lights (YMMV), but as others have noted, if they cannot be used in tandem with the high beams, then they serve no real purpose.

What would be helpful then is real fog lamps. Has anyone substituted real fog lamps for the driving lights? The current system (that I have) would make sense: no high beams and fog lamps at the same time (high beams are useless in the fog); foglamps and low beams if desired (the Pontiac and GMC truck option apparently includes fog lamps on 24/7/365, even if you rip the switch out of the dash, at least in these parts). Would have to modify up the connectors of course, and the brackets.

(And it seems no one has ever figured out where the wire labeled "fog lamp" goes that's already behind the switch panel).

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
In Virginia you have two different kinds of auxilliary lights. Driving lights, which have a long, narrow beam pattern, and a realy that is tied into the high beam switch. (They can only be turned on when high beams are on, and go off when high beams are turned off) and fog lights, which may be yellow, have a short, wide beam pattern that can illuminate the sides of the road. Fogs can be turned on when low beams are on, and must switch off when the high beams are on.

From what I can seen on Lotus cars, the two aux lights are configured to be driving lights, based on the reflector, type of bulb and color. The power wire to the relay on your was incorrectly attached to the low beam power, it needs to be wired to the high beams. Or, you could dismount the driving lights and find after market fog lamps to mount in the grill.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Both the 05 i had and the 06 i have turned the driving lights on with high beams. I'm wanting to change it to low beams!
NO!!! They are DRIVING LIGHTS, not fog lights. They are concentrated very bright HIGH BEAMS - they should never be on with the low beams unless you want to blind other drivers!. :wallbang:

They are actually fog lights.
No, they ARE NOT fog lights (although that is what is on most other cars and people who don't know any better call them driving lights. :rolleyes:

They are , again, very bight concentrated high beams (i.e. Driving Lights) - the opposite of forg lights.

I think there is DOT standard - at least in Canada (I'm Canadian living in Austin) where you can only have 4 front facing bulbs - so when you add high beams - the driving light (or fog lamps) have to turn off.
It's a common state law not a federal law or DOT standard. And again Driving Lights do not equal fog lights. They are complete opposites.

I bought mine from my dealer, and they came with all parts including a new relay. This forces the driving lights to come on only with the regular headlights. At least where I live, that's the law. You are not allowed to have 4 high beams. Not sure that's true everywhere.
No, the system turns on the Driving Lights when the high beams are activated. The switch is there to disable the Driving Lights when you are in areas that don't allow more than four lights shining from the front of the cars at once (the Elise leaves the low beams on when the high beams are lit, so with the driving lights on, it's six lights.

This is also why the early cars were not "pre-wired" - they didn't have the wiring for the switch although the wring for the lights was there. The switch is not required for other markets.

SirLotus, I realized my last note wasn't clear. My driving lights can be turned on at any time by using the illuminated (in blue) third switch in the light switch panel. If they are on, and you then activate the high beams, the driving lights turn off, and the high beams are on. When you turn the high beams off, the driving lights come back on (as long as the switch is still on).

I don't believe any other lights need to be on (of course, the DRL's are always on when the car is on).

I like the look of the driving lights (YMMV), but as others have noted, if they cannot be used in tandem with the high beams, then they serve no real purpose.

What would be helpful then is real fog lamps. Has anyone substituted real fog lamps for the driving lights? The current system (that I have) would make sense: no high beams and fog lamps at the same time (high beams are useless in the fog); fog lamps and low beams if desired (the Pontiac and GMC truck option apparently includes fog lamps on 24/7/365, even if you rip the switch out of the dash, at least in these parts). Would have to modify up the connectors of course, and the brackets.

(And it seems no one has ever figured out where the wire labeled "fog lamp" goes that's already behind the switch panel).
Your car has obviously had it's wiring hacked - did you buy the car new or used? Is it a complete factory driving light kit?

You could check the wiring behind the switch panel to make sure that things are not hacked and simply the harnesses plugged together. You also may have the incorrect relay in the socket under the dash - one that is closed without current passing through the coil in stead of one that is open without the current through the coil. Did someone swap out the relay or is it the factory relay?

Are you sure that you aren't confusing the DRLs on GM trucks for fog lights?

As for the Fog Light wiring behind the dash, that is for cars destined for other markets that require rear fog lights (I believe there is a fog light wire somewhere back there). Of course they don't have the option of a switch for the driving lights.

By the way, I absolutely hate the rear fog lights on cars - the typical driver around here leaves his fog lights on all the time which is not a big deal, UNLESS they have a rear fog light - nothing light following a car down the highway with a blindingly bright red light shining in you face (often much brighter than their brake lights which makes the brake light less noticeable).

It simply can not be wired incorrectly. It is possible the problem is within the dip switch.
It shouldn't be, but if someone hacked things (there has been lots of posts of people not understanding the function of driving lights and wanting them on with the low beams or with now beams on. Or it could be a "backward" functioning relay...

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
There are no cut wires. I tried swapping the green wires behind the panel, but when I did, the lights did not work at all.

I bought the car used. I have a receipt for the dealer install of the factory driving lights kit. They look completely factory. I am thinking whatever dealer monkey ****ed up the install. Anyone have a pdf of the instructions I can look at?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts