The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, the car is a 2006 Elise, and I am the original owner.

Up until yesterday, the car has never stranded me, or caused any trouble.

I drove to the dentist, and since it was sunny, left the roof off during the appointment. I locked the car using the fob as usual.

When I came out, I pressed the fob, the alarm turned off (the light stopped flashing). But the car didn't unlock. In fact it appeared that the car tried to lock itself despite already being locked.

If you press the fob, the alarm engages and disengages normally,but the locks just retract a bit like the car is trying to relck the doors.

The button inside has the same effect, it will not make the locks go up.

The key does nothing but turn when placed in the locks.

You can manually pull up the locks, and the door will open and the car will start normally. Pressing the fob after this just locs the car and arms the alarm as normal, but will not unlock the car.

The closest dealer is 5 hrs away. What can I do?

Any thoughts about what is causing this, and how to fix it are appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
I'd say check all the fuses but it doesn't seem to be power as you're describing the locks actually moving.

My gut says it's something with the alarm module - I think what I'd try first is unplug the battery and let it sit for 5 minutes or so. Then reconnect it and see if that reboot of the alarm module has any affect.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, thanks for the fast replies! I just read through the linked thread on replacing the CDL.

Is there a way I can use the fob to arm the alarm, and use the key to unlock the doors?

I can't afford to have a failure which gets me stuck. I would rather just manually lock and unlock the doors.

Is there away to bypass the CDL and use the key to unlock the door like the trunk?

·
Registered
689 Posts
You can lock the doors with just the key and this will not set the alarm as active. The automatic immobilizer that makes the tell/tale light blink in the dash will set in about 45 seconds when you shut the car off. The immobilizer and the alarm are two different functions for the cars computer. SO if you just wanted to lock the car and have the immobilizer actively set just use the key until you can replace the Central Door Locking Module. The key in the door is just that. It does not set the alarm. Hope this is not confusing and helps you out. The alarm and immobilizer has scared all of us that have owned these cars. (Well at least me anyway) Ha Ha :shift:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts