The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
People from SELOC and the German Elise-Community are thinking about a bulk buy from the US. We are therefore urgently looking for means of transport - can anybody help with a quote for an approx. 1 ton cargo (size wont be the issues, whole shipment consists of quite heavy racing jacks) from Camarillo, CA 93011 to either somewhere in the UK or 85232 Bergkirchen, Germany ?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Stefan, my Caterham Seven was air freighted from the UK to the US the total weight with the shipping crates was about 1800 pounds. The cost was $2780. I suspect it would have been much less via ship.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Yep I have one it is light weight. Most need a little oil added when you get them. I have heard that the seals are leaking on some but Harbor has been very good about replacing the leakers. I have not had a problem. I got the blue one, there is red and aluminum also.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Hello Stefan,

I will get a quote from my forwarder.

Patrick

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
Here's the jack they're talking about, looks like a decent deal, any thought on these, seem awfully inexpensive to me tho.
A lot of people on the Miata forum have them and think they are great. Their biggest advantage is that they are light and easy to transport (to take to an autocross fro tire changes). For a home shop, I don't really see an advantage in the light weight jack - nothing wrong with them, just not as necessary. My most important criteria is how low is the profile of the jack (not just the lifting point, but the sides as well) as I have to reach pretty far under a couple of my cars to lift them up.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
James A said:
I have heard that the seals are leaking on some but Harbor has been very good about replacing the leakers.
That's OK for locals, but once they're shipped overseas, it's pointless to return them -- too expensive.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
as far as I can see from the product documentation they can supply every single part of the jacks as a replacement so this is quite ok.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I have the mammoth steel jack from Costco, cuz hey, it was cheap at $75 or so. Nice low insertion height.

The disadvantage to a heavy jack is that it scratches the crap out of the garage floor. If you have anything other than oil-stained pitted concrete, you will hate these deep gouges as you drag the jack around and use it.

Also, the full handle is rediculously long -- impossible to use indoors unless you have one of the Dream Garages seen here earlier. :)

I see Costco now has the lightweight aluminum race jacks too..

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
The handle is only 23 inches - pretty standard - I think it looks really big in the photos because the jack is so small. I guess you could always cut a few inches off if you don't mind a little work out while you lift your car.

The guys over at the cobraforums are happy with that jack as well.

Have you contacted harbor frieght directly about shipping? I am sure they have shipped large orders overseas before. They may get a discount with someone...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Donovan,

Harbourfreight themselves are quite useless when it comes to overseas shipment. They quoted 168 $ for one jack and 1680 $ for 10. :rolleyes:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts