The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi! I am a CNC machinist and programmer with several 3 and 4 axis CNC machines available. I mainly work with aluminum because the tools and time needed to machine harder metals makes fun projects like this take too long. I'm simply trying to have do a little custom work for my car, not engine work but maybe some billet suspension, interior, exterior components and stuff like that.

I recently purchased a Lotus Elise... I have seen some pretty basic stuff made for these cars by several aftermarket manufacturers. I would much rather build my own stuff though and since I have the capabilities I cant resist :)

Im not sure what to make... I would like to keep it simple at first so small parts would be ideal. My cousin has the Lid-bone on her Elise and I have the sliding extruded cup holder. Im not really trying to make either of those. I have read about people milling some of the suspension, Im not opposed to this, it sounds interesting so that is a possibility... any suggestions in the suspension area?

Are there any Lotus owners out there that can think of something that might benefit their car in any way? Shoot me some ideas... lets see what we can dream up.

If I end up making something that you design I will send you the part ;)

Thanks,
Derek

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A bracket to relocate the stock oil cooler (coolers?) from the front of the car, into the engine bay.
Awesome! Thanks for the quick response and suggestion! :)

A few questions:
Where at in the engine bay are you trying to mount the oil coolers? I can only think of two possible locations...
What is the benefit of doing this?

Give me some more details and Ill check the oil coolers and your desired location out on my Elise :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You could make us some of these:

raceUPRIGHTS for your Lotus
Those look awesome! I love the pictures that show the uprights with the toolmarks.

The good:
This would be an awesome part to have!
I am very interested in this project! I have never made any suspension parts like this.
I have access to the 6061 T6 material and I think I can make this part in 3 positions, at most 4 positions on a 4 axis mill.
I have access to a high-end Coordinate measuring machine (CMM) so I could easily get the necessary geometry/dimensions, use CAD/CAM software to create a solid model and then apply toolpath/code for the CNC. This would be much easier than laying up the part and picking up all the angles and geometry with regular inspection equipment.
I believe we could make them any shape/design as long as the hole geometry stays in the correct position... basically if we keep the mounting locations in the correct locations we could change the profile of the part to anything we desired (accounting for weight, strength and clearance).

The bad:
Unfortunately I don't have an extra set of uprights laying around to pull dimensions off of.
This would be somewhat of a time consuming job for a small personal project, it would be just you and I and possibly family/friends w/ Elise's.
I think it would take a few weeks to do everything in my spare time (rough estimate from looking at the pictures).

Questions:
What are they altering to gain camber and alter the ride height? I cant tell from the pictures.
How much of a drop are you looking for? Those drop it 25mm which is almost a full inch.
What are your desired camber specs? What are your current camber settings and what suspension are you using? Those uprights claim to stay on the positive side of -2 degrees. Im not sure what my camber is at w/ my LSS suspension...Im not sure what it would be with the drop amount that you suggest, gonna have to figure that out, which requires even more suspension geometry in order to figure the swing, angle etc... whew, that sounds involved. :confused:
Do you have a set of uprights you can donate for this project so my car doesnt have to be down or could you supply the required dimensions needed?

Im sure I am forgetting a ton of info... this can be a decent project I think to say the least :coolnana:

·
Carbon Fiber
1,637 Posts
I'll get involved, I park the car for winter might be able to get them scanned here n send u the cad file.

Make a project folder for it n well see what we gotta do

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Awesome! Thanks for the quick response and suggestion! :)

A few questions:
Where at in the engine bay are you trying to mount the oil coolers? I can only think of two possible locations...
What is the benefit of doing this?

Give me some more details and Ill check the oil coolers and your desired location out on my Elise :)
heres one spot people use...

Attachments

·
Registered
846 Posts
Here ya go, and it's a mind bender as well.
Having lost an oil pump recently, and finding all the places the bits end up, not the least of which is contaminating the oil cooler system...

So there's two oil coolers, junk...

If you don't beleive me, have a look at the sandwich plate, and the factory manual where it says they need to be replaced upon major engine failure.

Yup, the oil pump pumps through the coolers first (to some extent even when the oil is cold), then through the filter and on to the engine.
In fact every cooler sandwich plate I've seen works this way.

How about a replacement sandwich plate that routes through the filter first and then the coolers, make it so the existing thermostat and fittings can be swaped over and I think you have a winner.
I mean who wouldn't want an insurance policy like that.

Blowing an engine is bad enough, but having to replace the cooler radiators because of it is just insulting.

·
Banned
3,229 Posts

·
Inactive
831 Posts
A suspension upright that puts the joints in double shear. Of course, then you'd need suspension arms too...

·
Banned
3,229 Posts
A suspension upright that puts the joints in double shear. Of course, then you'd need suspension arms too...
But that will require the ball joints to be installed vertically (instead of horizontally)...and you would not have enough range of motion. The most you could get is 16 degrees to either side…you need at least double that! Not a good idea…

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Hmmm, while I don't have an Elise, I may need some parts for my Esprit CNC machined... I may be losing my machine shop at work soon (after 12 years):(

I made most of the parts for my Brembo race brakes, but didn't finish the parking caliper brackets yet.

The part on the left below

The orange part here

I already have a chunk of 6061 for these.

You can see more of my project here.
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f164/brembo-racing-brakes-my-own-design-101381/
I prototyped them in plastic on the manual mill.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
It's for a parking caliper! Strength and heat resistance is not an issue.

6061 is NOT the weakest aluminum, nor the worst. There are many alloys that are weaker, not to mention that the tensile strength of 7075 matches 6061 at ~137 C (280 F), and goes below above that. While 6061 will still maintain some ductility and fracture toughness, 7075 will break more suddenly when it fails, due to lower ductility.

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
Hi! I am a CNC machinist and programmer with several 3 and 4 axis CNC machines available. I mainly work with aluminum because the tools and time needed to machine harder metals makes fun projects like this take too long. I'm simply trying to have do a little custom work for my car, not engine work but maybe some billet suspension, interior, exterior components and stuff like that.

I recently purchase a Lotus Elise... I have seen some pretty basic stuff made for these cars by several aftermarket manufacturers. I would much rather build my own stuff though and since I have the capabilities I cant resist :)

Im not sure what to make... I would like to keep it simple at first so small parts would be ideal. My cousin has the Lid-bone on her Elise and I have the sliding extruded cup holder. Im not really trying to make either of those. I have read about people milling some of the suspension, Im not opposed to this, it sounds interesting so that is a possibility... any suggestions in the suspension area?

Are there any Lotus owners out there that can think of something that might benefit their car in any way? Shoot me some ideas... lets see what we can dream up.

If I end up making something that you design I will send you the part ;)

Thanks,
Derek
you could make uprights for my Formula Ford :)

·
Registered
846 Posts
If you're going to do something, do something original.

Uprights have been done 12 ways to Sunday already...

Elise parts has two if not three different versions...
We've got the Nitron high end ones.
Philbeam racing also has done uprights in the UK as well, and now we have the local bits by Palatov...

·
Banned
3,229 Posts
It's for a parking caliper! Strength and heat resistance is not an issue.

6061 is NOT the weakest aluminum, nor the worst. There are many alloys that are weaker, not to mention that the tensile strength of 7075 matches 6061 at ~137 C (280 F), and goes below above that. While 6061 will still maintain some ductility and fracture toughness, 7075 will break more suddenly when it fails, due to lower ductility.
Well, sure, 1100 is pure aluminum...so, we could call it the worst, but it is not an alloy.
At 280 F, your brake fluid will boil first...
You will never get an impact load by squeezing a brake...
For impacts and temperature, I would choose 2024...still much better performance than 6061.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts