The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Putting the car back together after pulling motor, 1987 HCi.

My memory has failed me again.

Where do these 2 nipples go? Probably cooling related? They are on intake manifold. 1 obviously has a hose on it, rather short, about 18"(?). The other ??

Have researched Service Notes but no help.

Probably not explaining this correctly but hopefully the photo will help.

Thanks
Tad

Attachments

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,318 Posts
Again, don't have the Service Notes at work, but there are fuel vapor lines that connect to the head near there. Some come off the fuel metering unit and another comes from (I think) the evap area over the RH fuel tank.

Don't feel bad about having a Brain Fart, I took nearly 700 pictures when I took my engine out. And, I still didn't have all I needed. :( Other times I couldn't find pictures of an assembly that I KNEW I had. :facepalm

Look in the Fuel (Bosch FI) section of the 'Notes....

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Atwell

Your explanation makes sense.

Went and looked at the offending nipples and surrounding area again. Armed with your knowledge, it looks like the nipple with the hose on it goes on a fitting on the plenum cover. I do have a hose coming from the evap area that needs a home. My bet is the exposed nipple in the photo is this hoses home, like a baby suckling on a mother teet....

I didn't take near 700 pictures but I have a bunch. My problem was I didn't take pictures for things I knew would be simple to reinstall.

I'm finding nothing seems simple to reinstall but I am getting close to firing her up.

·
Glutton For Punishment
251 Posts
That is the nipple that takes air from the evap system as well as some other hose stuff over there on the RH side of the car. It sends the air around the injectors and through the pintle cap to help atomize the fuel.

·
Registered
41 Posts
OK, here's a photo of my '87 HCI. You can see one hose goes to the plenum. the other goes toward the RH fuel tank. There is a solenoid at the other end of this hose. Its purpose is to provide extra air (and fuel) to the intake manifold when the engine coolant is below 70 degrees F, or when the A/C is turned on. HTH. -Steve

Attachments

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,318 Posts
You can see one hose goes to the plenum. the other goes toward the RH fuel tank.

rotfl rotfl rotfl

Maybe YOU can see it. Isn't the plumbing on Bosch cars wonderful? :scratchhead:

As far as Sergeant's expectations, :rolleyes: it wasn't labelled NSFW :panic: so I felt it was OK to view it. Even if Mom was looking over my shoulder. :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
LOL, Atwell. My car was such a mess when I got it that I had to spend a bunch of time figuring out all the plumbing and wiring around the Bosch CIS. For example, the boost gauge was plumbed directly to the vacuum pump! No wonder it never registered boost. -Steve

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ferrari328gt,

Now that's the picture I should have taken before I started, thanks.

I apologize (not) to anyone that was expecting anything more than an honest Esprit related question. :clap:

In publishing they say the title is everything so I figured this would help get me some answers, I think it worked. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts