The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone, i am helping my friend build his race exige back together after a crash, we have got a donor car, my first problem we have come across is we need to find out the best way to clue the chassis back together, the orange resin lotus use, were can i get some of this, or do people use somthing else? all the info on name product, types, costs, were we can buy it, or a similer product that users use. thanks again and look forward to talking with you soon,
cheers

·
Premium Member
4,117 Posts
Don't they use a Jig to glue the tub?

·
Elise newb
342 Posts
Regluing chassis components is beyond the capability of home mechanics. It requires very specific cleaning procedures using hazardous solvents and clean room conditions, and exact temperature control during curing as well as vacuum. This is not JB weld.

A decent article at Sands Museum details:
The adhesive is a single-part, heat-cured epoxy paste (XB 5315) which is more often used tar bonding oily steel. It has a tensile strength of 35 MPa and an E-modulus of 2,700 MPa. Curing takes about 40 minutes at 200°C. Until cured, it has a paste-like consistency and is very stable.
While the article talks about "tar bonding oily steel" it doesn't mention that those bonds are far below the strength required for road safety.

·
Banned
3,229 Posts
Bonding is significantly different from gluing...
Gluing can be accomplished by a backyard mechanic...
Bonding can only be accomplished by a trained professional...
As stated above, this chassis has been and needs to be bonded...
You're in way over your head! This is not a job for you...

·
Super Moderator
5,461 Posts
Have a read through this thread. http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f23...ed-non-authorized-chassis-repair-ideas-69001/

The adhesive you need is Huntsmann Araldite 2015 as per the following post.
Hi guys, found this thread after a quick browse. I work in composite engineering in the UK, and have repaired a few chassis with the same damaged.

The method someone mentioned of putting a new extrusion inside the old one is the best way to proceed.

BUT.....

You must never weld the tub, main reason is that you will de bond the remaining adhesive.

You need to rivet and glue the extrusion into place. The nearest adhesive to use is Huntsmann Araldite 2015. They also sell a red die which Lotus also use. (2014 listed goes off too quickly and can not be used for this type of repair).
This cures @ 25 deg C in 24 hours.

For reference, Lotus do not use an autoclave to cure the chassis, they do it in a oven @ ~ 90 Deg C for faster cure time (approx 90 mins). Joints show the same mechanical properties if cured at room temp.

I normally post on SELOC in the UK, where you have probably read some of my posts of how to repair the chassis's in more detail.

Last point, this should not be tried by anyone, the repairs I have done were in a controlled laboratory, with the ali being pickled and fully prepared before bonding.

Hope this helps though

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hi again, thanks for that info, the next little bit of help i looking for is, were can i find to purchase the steel rivets that hold the rear chassis together along with the bonding, i will upload a pic later of the rivits i am speaking of. any help were to get these would be great stuff, cheers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts