The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

In the garage, trying to install the PAC iPod Ai-Net Adapter for Alpine Alpine cable for my stock Alpine CDA-9820XM in the Elise.

I can get it connected, it charges the iPhone, but I can't get the head unit to show an AUX input when I cycle through the sources. It only shows: DISC / XM / TUNER — nowhere can I get it to display AUX.

The post http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f133/installing-ipod-cable-alpine-stereo-45221/ mentions "Activate the Alpine’s AUX input if it isn't already active (see the radio manual)". The manual only tells me to cycle through the sources until AUX shows up.

I'm confused. :confused:

Has anyone out there done this? Does this head unit not support the cable I have? Did your head unit show the AUX choice before you installed your iPod/iPhone cable?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Figured it out — it has a button which says "Setup" over the button itself. Depress it for about 5 seconds, and you get to setup mode. From there, you eventually get to an "AUX ON/OFF" option.

Works with the iPod, does not work with iPhone with firmware later than 1.1.4, unfortunately (2.0 doesn't fix it either).

Oh well, a dedicated iPod for the Elise it is. :)

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
No word on when they might have one for the iphone though?
The iphone works with my Alpine deck just fine.. Not sure why yours wouldnt work.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The iphone works with my Alpine deck just fine.. Not sure why yours wouldnt work.
It has to do with the firmware. iPhones up to 1.1.3 work with my setup, but 1.1.4 and now 2.0 are broken. Apple should fix it, but I'm sure they broke it for some good reason, they are much too professional to screw up such a thing unless they need to for other reasons.

·
Registered
426 Posts
with the phone not in airplane mode. Do u guys get feedback at all?? Or is it clear??

·
Registered
88 Posts
I know I'm excavating a dinosaur thread here... but I just bought a 2007 Exige S and it has this CDA-9820XM head unit in it with the iPod cable installed. It will play music through the iPhone 4 but it will not charge the phone and it doesn't seem to have an iPod by hand mode like my Kenwood does. Do any of you have experience with this? I would really like to be able to charge my phone with this and control the playback from the phone and not the head unit.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Did you ever get your iphone4 to control the stereo? Just got an 07 Elise with iPod adapter and alpine stereo and I have the same problem. Is there any way to have control from the phone or do I need a new stereo?
Thanks.

·
Registered
88 Posts
No, I was never able to get it to work. I am planning a complete new stereo for the car so that will solve it. It just seems so strange that it can't even charge the phone.

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
No, I was never able to get it to work. I am planning a complete new stereo for the car so that will solve it. It just seems so strange that it can't even charge the phone.
It won't charge the phone because right around the time that radio was made Apple changed from a firewire based charging system on iPods and iPhones to a USB based system. Essentially the power just comes through a different pin in the 30-pin connector. There are adapters that you can use to charge the newer devices from older systems.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Thanks for the information JWA. Can you please tell us what to look for in one of those adapters that will allow charging from the older units? If is just a cheap little adapter I would love to pick one up for use until I change out the head unit.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I got that very same charging adapter and it works. I can now charge the phone. I have also learned to control the phone music thru the stereo. It actually works well and easy to use. This helped:
I do miss being able to see album art on the phone and touch control. But it's not too bad, pandora works well too and can be controlled from the phone.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts