The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says, I need some help. I have owned an 05 Elise for the last few years and ran into a big issue today where I can no longer use my car.

I have two fobs, neither of which are sync'd to the vehicle. The one that was has the key attached to it, but I dropped it and it's no longer working on the car. I have full access to be inside the car, but cannot follow the weird method of 'put key in ignition, turn key, press button on fob, hit start button on vehicle'
I've seen the videos on how to resync or sync a new fob to a car, but I also have a GARW dash, so I cannot follow any blinking light to use my car's PIN (I emailed the manufacturer about this, no reply).

What are my options?
  • Can a dealership sync a fob for me and send it?
  • Do I need to reinstall the OEM dash kit and sync through this archaic method of following flashing lights?
Truly at a loss here. Feels awful having that car just sit while springtime is just beginning here in Wisconsin.

·
Addict
2007 Lotus Exige S
1,372 Posts
That is a fear of mine with the GARW dash as well. I've seen a thread somewhere where someone wired up an LED that will blink and put it somewhere. I do not think you will be able to sync the keys without that blinking light. You can disconnect the immobilizer until you find a way to sync.

I did receive this information about the light but cannot find the image of what pin it actually was and I haven't added this myself just yet.
"The blinking led is passed through the dash and available on the second plug ( the one with the USB)

I will send a link for the appropriate terminating pin , to add an the additional wire into the plug "

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Interesting...I have never thought about this particular issue with the GAWR dash. Will have to store this in the memory banks if I come across it. I have yet to fully reprogram a key yet in 10+ years. Knock on wood!

Did your other fob work at all previously? Have you tried the simple resync method vs a full reprogram? It doesn't rely on the dash tell tale, just the LED on the fob. Hold down both buttons until the LED turns off and release the buttons. If done right the LED should stay on constant once released. Press the larger button and you should see it flash. Resync complete. I have had to do this many times over the years randomly. Worth a shot if you haven't tried it.

From my understanding, no the dealer cannot reprogram a key without the car, it needs to be a local event since it is tied to the alarm itself. Good luck and hope you get it sorted!

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
Hmm this is an interesting issue. I was planning on selling my stock gauges but i think I will hold onto them now in the event I ever come across this.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interesting...I have never thought about this particular issue with the GAWR dash. Will have to store this in the memory banks if I come across it. I have yet to fully reprogram a key yet in 10+ years. Knock on wood!

Did your other fob work at all previously? Have you tried the simple resync method vs a full reprogram? It doesn't rely on the dash tell tale, just the LED on the fob. Hold down both buttons until the LED turns off and release the buttons. If done right the LED should stay on constant once released. Press the larger button and you should see it flash. Resync complete. I have had to do this many times over the years randomly. Worth a shot if you haven't tried it.

From my understanding, no the dealer cannot reprogram a key without the car, it needs to be a local event since it is tied to the alarm itself. Good luck and hope you get it sorted!
The resync method worked! I had forgotten resync vs reprogramme.

My other fob has never been set to the car. Need to figure out how to do that in case resync doesnt work for me in the future!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is a fear of mine with the GARW dash as well. I've seen a thread somewhere where someone wired up an LED that will blink and put it somewhere. I do not think you will be able to sync the keys without that blinking light. You can disconnect the immobilizer until you find a way to sync.

I did receive this information about the light but cannot find the image of what pin it actually was and I haven't added this myself just yet.
"The blinking led is passed through the dash and available on the second plug ( the one with the USB)

I will send a link for the appropriate terminating pin , to add an the additional wire into the plug "
Does disconnecting the immobilizer effectively remove any need for a sync'd fob? Physical key is all you need?

·
Addict
2007 Lotus Exige S
1,372 Posts
Does disconnecting the immobilizer effectively remove any need for a sync'd fob? Physical key is all you need?
That is my understanding. If you wanted to keep the electric door locks I am not sure if the fob still needs to be sync’d or not.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
The resync method worked! I had forgotten resync vs reprogramme.

My other fob has never been set to the car. Need to figure out how to do that in case resync doesnt work for me in the future!
Good deal!

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
One thing to keep in mind is that if you reprogram one fob, you need to reprogram all the fobs you have. From my experience, if you reprogram one fob it will "forget" the others. I just did this when I bought a second fob. This makes sense from a security standpoint but is a bit of a pain.

·
Registered
341 Posts
One thing to keep in mind is that if you reprogram one fob, you need to reprogram all the fobs you have. From my experience, if you reprogram one fob it will "forget" the others. I just did this when I bought a second fob. This makes sense from a security standpoint but is a bit of a pain.
Yep that is correct, and doing so is a real pain in the neck... but worth it. I actually have 3 for my 2005, but only synced two of them. You can sync 3 fobs max it won't accept more. The good news is that once they have been synced the 1st time, resync when you replace fob battery is just a matter of holding the two buttons at the same time for a second or two.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts