The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I’ve has this little motorcycle battery in my lotus, and it dies so quickly I wanted to put a bigger 26R in (below is before and after). The old battery was only spitting out like 210 CCA when I measured it anyway so was probably dead. I put the new battery in and took off that x-tender switch (since no longer fits with bigger battery), and now no power to the car. Nothing. I can’t figure out why no dash light, no clicking, nothing. Car won’t start. No idea why. I had previously disabled immobilizer with my key code, and I have the fob, that not helping either. Any help please. It was working before I made the swap. There is a BOE tune I believe on it.

Automotive tire Toy Gas Machine Motor vehicle

Yellow Gas Electronic device Font Auto part

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
1,369 Posts
Well, the + battery cable runs to the starter solenoid, where the rest of the car picks up power, in general. You need to get to the starter, put the red on the cable, black touching say the motor block, meter on low voltage setting and see what you have. Or start at the battery, red on the + terminal, black on the -, 12V? Then red on the cable after your connector lug, black on the other cable after the lug. +12V? Then then do the starter check next. Then the fuse box. Black on a good ground, poke some fuses and look for 12V.

·
Administrator
13,522 Posts
Have you load tested your battery? Auto parts store will do it for free new batteries have been known to be faulty.

·
Administrator
13,522 Posts
That won't work! Test terminal to terminal I bet your battery is low.

·
Administrator
13,522 Posts
You need 12.6 but can have that with bad cells as well.

·
Administrator
13,522 Posts
Many of the new batteries have smaller diameter posts grab and see if you can rotate them. I had to put cap shims on my tractor on last battery change just for that reason.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
You need to clean up or replace that + connector, and clean off the battery post. Coarse sandpaper on the inner round of the connector should do the trick. Also make sure you get the connector bolt nice and tight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
-ive terminal / connector?

check resistance between terminal end and next connection, also each connection, that will tell how much loss.

note, most terminal ends that connect to batteries are swaged in a 20T press

make sure everything is tight, dielectric or Vaseline

like a river, if you break up flow it won't be as strong

·
Administrator
13,522 Posts
I think those metal loops on the end of my wires aren’t on well. With physical manipulation I improved the connection enough to start it. Thanks all.
Get them right! As temperamental at these cars are electrically if grounds and battery aren't just right you'll have all kinds of potential gremlins.

·
Registered
05 Lotus Elise
71 Posts
Glad to hear you've got it sorted...

One thing I'd like to add to the conversation is, replace those wing nuts with hex nuts (machine nuts) as you can never get a wing nut tight enough.
Nearly 40 years as a marine mechanic has taught me that. If you can grab the cable with your hand, force it loose from the nut or terminal, it's not tight enough!

Happy motoring

1 - 20 of 20 Posts