The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:wallbang:

Ok, while waiting for the Elise I bought a 87 VW Scirocco. Took it for it's first drive yesterday after topping off with a quart of oil. Did some backroads stuff at a higher RPM just to get the feel for the car. Just as I was heading back I was going up a moderate incline under heavy acceleration from 10MPH or so. I got to 3rd @ 3500 RPMs or so and the throttle felt wierd and won't accelerate. Look in rearview mirror to see a HUGE cloud of smoke. I backed off and I kept going (oil pressure read fine) at a slower pace. I get about a mile up the road to my exit, a long sweeping right hand turn and at the end I put the clutch in to ride in down shift and by the time I down shifted it had stalled. I know that this car has a problem with long sweeping turns and oil starvation but I wasn't even pushing it hard. I drove to my house and garaged it.

So today I start it up and right away the smoke is there when I rev it cold. Oil pressure is WAY high - idle pressure is ~60psi, WOT is ~90+. I let it idle for 5-6 minutes. I feel brave and take it for a short drive, no smoke once I get going. Oil pressure once warmed up goes down to a "normal" level, little less than 20 psi idle and 40-60 normal driving, and a little over 80 WOT.

Any ideas why it would smoke or have the oil pressure so high? Oil level is spot on cold. I did drive it pretty roughly yesterday and very easy today. Maybe an oil change would help with lower viscosity oil? They guy that owned it was very good to it (I have his maintence log) & he knew what he was doing with engines.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
What color smoke? My miata got a bad batch of fuel once and started blowing big puffy clouds, and I drained the tank and changed the filter, and all was once again right. It acted exactly like you describe when it happened.

Cade

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
White/blue. Sort of makes me think that some oil is getting push past then piston rings and burning. Not experienced enough with engines to be sure. :(

I'm getting a new fuel filter & other smal tune up parts this week to just do some small stuff. I'll try super premium next time I fill up to see if that works for me.

Really hoping that the engine isn't hosed. I've only had it 4 days!

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Hmm... you could be right. definitely would be a loss of power if there's a lot of oil in the cylinders...... and the smoke color is consistent with oil.

Do a leakdown test... it's a simple procedure, and the tool isn't that expensive. Or have a local shop do it for you... it'll give you a good indication if one of your cylinders has excessive blow-by.

It's possible that a gasket (most likely head gasket) has failed, and is allowing oil into the cylinders. I think this is the most likely scenario, especially considering the high oil pressure... the pressure being high due to the combustion process spent gases going into the oil galleries. IF this is what happened, you need a new head gasket ASAP. The upside is that it isn't the most technically complicated work, and the parts are relatively cheap. Probably only about 100 dollars or so. It was 50 for my jeep. I usually had a spare in my tool kit, it's a common jeep failure.

Cade

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
MotorCade said:

Do a leakdown test... it's a simple procedure, and the tool isn't that expensive.
I think MotorCade is on the right track, but I'll specifically mention that this is a tool every gearhead should have. When buying an older car, you'll always want to know the results, and its not at all hard to do yourself, so might as well invest in it now.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Cade is right do a leak down test, this sounds depressingly like a head gasket problem. Hopefully the leak down test will prove that the gasket is OK.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hum... 3rd engine that I've had head gasket issues with... Maybe it has something to do with buying beater cars for winter transport & driving them hard as hell.

Maybe I need to keep the revs down a bit... Na... :evil:

Thanks for your help guys, it is appreciated.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks MattG. Sort of what my friend/Chief Mechanic said might be. There seems to be nothing wrong with the engine. I spoke to they guy that owned it & he said he didn't run the engine hard. I do. So the theory now is that once I started to drive hard that a whole bunch of gunk got blown out of somewhere and I saw that crap burn off.

Right now the engine is running well, no problems with idle, no noises, no smoke. Nothing abnormal at all.

My friend suggested adjusting my driving style. Not sure I like that idea.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts