The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Based on some searching around on the forum the car in question is Chili Red's old car. It is a 07 Exige with 36k miles, a lot of them track miles. Read somewhere before he sold it with 50+ track days and the second owner used it as a track toy attending 6-7 track days a year.

The car has mods which include
Gotham 265
Rls infer cooler lines
Moroso oil pan
Re enforcer shifter mod
Sector 111 fuel tank, catch cans, track mounts, rtd brace

Seems to be well maintained.

My plan is to buy this for a daily driver and NO tracking....

Should I avoid a heavily tracked car as a daily driver ?
Reliability issues with mods or track past?

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
Should I avoid a heavily tracked car as a daily driver ?
Reliability issues with mods or track past?
That's really hard to say - but my gut says no, this isn't the car for you. There are plenty of non-tracked cars out there right now so it seems there would be a ton of parts on this car that would be a total waste for you.

That being said if you like the car and the deal works out I don't see how/why it would be bad. If the car has held up to that much track use driving it the street won't tax it at all. I would get it inspected by someone that knows the cars well before moving forward though. While built for the track that is quite a lot of use.

You can also part out a lot of that if you choose to - but that's probably more trouble than it's worth. Just realize an Exige as a daily driver - in my opinion - is a horrible horrible thing. I pretty much hate driving mine on the street at this point...

·
Registered
949 Posts
Seems to be well maintained.
That's probably the thing I'd be most concerned about - are there [mostly] complete maintenance records available? If not (and even if there are), get a hardcore inspection on it before even considering it.

There's nothing about a tracked car that would make me inherently run away from it, but a heavily tracked car that hasn't been properly maintained is a recipe for unpleasantness.

Also, re: the daily driving thing, I guess it depends on what your commute is. I daily drove mine for a year and a half and loved it (commute was <10 miles). After a year and a half I was ready for a DD that wasn't a big pain in the ass. That said, I'm buying another Lotus now, so... :p

·
3,201 Posts
but a heavily tracked car that hasn't been properly maintained is a recipe for unpleasantness.
Most likely if it was tracked that heavily it would have to have been maintained well. You don't get 50+ track days out of a car that's neglected.

After a year and a half I was ready for a DD that wasn't a big pain in the ass
I'm definitely one of the "you guys are crazy for DD'ing this car". While I do drive mine (I did today for example) it was more "ugh, I have to drive the Lotus to work today?".

·
3,201 Posts
My daily commute will be about 10 miles, straight shot 2 exits up on the interstate.
So in my mind about the worst commute you could have in this car (save for it's short). Interstate driving is not what these cars are built for.

That being said I don't mean to poo-poo your idea. Just know that you'll most likely get sick of it fairly quickly - and if you do get one please oh please be sure to take it to the track or autocross so you can see what they are really made for :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts