The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Taking off all of the exterior plastic pieces for painting as they are faded. Can anyone give me some advice on how to remove the plastic louvers from the engine cover. I got the plastic rivet thingies out, but it looks like they are also held on by a two-sided (3M type) tape or rubber?? I just scratched the lid trying to get an Xacto blade under there... :facepalm

·
Registered
945 Posts
Try a heat gun on low or hairdryer and dental floss. You can string the dental floss through and use a "sawing" action to cut through the adhesive.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! I took your idea a step further and used some fishing line. It was quite a bit stronger and did the job.

That two side tape crap was formidable! Anyone have a suggestion on what to use to get rid of the adhesive residue? I need something petroleum based, I would think? Aggressive but not so much that it damages my clear coat... :eek:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Googone works great, just let it soak. Douse it liberally in it, and let it sit for a while. 10 minutes? 30 minutes? Depends on how much is there. Most will rub right off with a paper towel.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok guys. Have the Googone and a heat gun for the heavy stuff. I'll let ya know how it goes! :D

·
Registered
181 Posts
I took my engine louvers off over the week-end and I can attest to the job being a $itch. In fact, I cracked one of the smaller louvers in half try to pull the double-sided-tape-from-hell off. I really think a hair dryer is an essential tool for removal.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I took my engine louvers off over the week-end and I can attest to the job being a $itch. In fact, I cracked one of the smaller louvers in half try to pull the double-sided-tape-from-hell off. I really think a hair dryer is an essential tool for removal.
Yes, was a real PITA... I used fishing line to saw through the tape/adhesive and then a heat gun and various solvents to remove the residue...

·
Wow Such Admin
6,931 Posts
You can buy a heat gun from harbor freight pretty cheap. It comes in handy quite often. I have had mine for about 5 or 6 years now and it still works great.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts