The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So sitting in traffic the engine temp climbs to 215-225… once i start moving and get some air flowing to the engine it will level out around 189 -195. The fan is working up front.. at a loss on why its over heating

·
Registered
945 Posts
225 isn't overheating.
That's when the temperature display starts flashing, so I see OP's concern.

The owners manual says the following:

The temperature display will flash at temperatures over 226°F
to prompt closer monitoring by the driver of high temperatures.
The pressurised cooling system has a boiling point of over 248°F.
If the temperature approaches this level then the driver should
be concerned.
I think with the AC on in high ambient temperatures, the fans (which come on at full speed at 217F) can't keep up and you'll end up with a higher temperature.

·
shay2nak
25,131 Posts
You're in FL? Hot & humid makes it worse. When's the last time you did a coolant flush?

·
Registered
104 Posts
My Elise was running up to 220 def F here in Phoenix last summer. The coolant was 3 years old from the last flush. This past spring an end tank cracked so a radiator replacement was in order. I went with a Pro Alloy radiator (twin row) and fresh Toyota coolant after another flush process. I have not been able to get the car above 196 deg F at all this summer the few times I have driven it. Even sitting at a stoplight with the A/C on it does not go any higher.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I replaced the 190F thermostat when I did the radium clam kit. Since I was there, I got rid of the plastic/metal OEM one that is known to fail with an all metal 180F one from autozone.

This past winter, I replaced the OEM radiator pre-emptively with a Pro Alloy one.

Each of these has improved the temp. I only live in Massachusetts. Having just gone to Florida a little over a week ago, I understand that there's actual heat there.

These are long term things to consider.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
So sitting in traffic the engine temp climbs to 215-225… once i start moving and get some air flowing to the engine it will level out around 189 -195. The fan is working up front.. at a loss on why its over heating
Well break out a high school physics book.
Heat is either conducted, convected or radiated. In this case the answer is #2.
As the airflow goes to zero #2 gets reduced. The fans increase #2, as does speed.

You're in FL? Hot & humid makes it worse. When's the last time you did a coolant flush?
How exactly does the humidty affect the cooling?
(Hot makes it worse, and altitude makes it worse.)

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
How exactly does the humidty affect the cooling?
I think he just meant Hot & humid places not that humidity makes it worse. Surly "hot" would have sufficed.

I'm in Orlando, been at 190-192 all summer so far. ( 30 minute max drives ). I'd agree proly just the coolant lines. Just make sure its done right, don't want any bubbles in there.

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
I live in central Florida and my temp has never crossed over 200 degrees no matter how i drive or how hot it is. I would point fingers at the thermostat. Usually sits around 192/195 degrees for me even driving through town with low air flow. Although a lot of cars average running temp is 200/210ish. I would do a coolant flush and replace the thermostat.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I live in central Florida and my temp has never crossed over 200 degrees no matter how i drive or how hot it is. I would point fingers at the thermostat. Usually sits around 192/195 degrees for me even driving through town with low air flow. Although a lot of cars average running temp is 200/210ish. I would do a coolant flush and replace the thermostat.
Unless it is fluctuating at cruise, then the thermostat is likely OK as it is a least somewhat open.

Once the thermostat is open, then the cooling will be determined by water flow, and by air flow. Unless there s a reason to believe that the water pump is bad or the coolant needs needs a flush, then getting warm with no airflow is pretty par for the course. You need either bigger/more fans, have them come on sooner, or have the car moving.
If I am moving it is OK, but once I am in stop-n-go, the stop part make the temps go up pretty high.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Driving mine sits at 185ish sitting in 90's iv seen it jump to 216 tops. Usually stays at 206 idle. iv noticed the supercharger is making it run hotter.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Mine always used to run 187 and in town 25-35 cruising with some light stop and go. I recently added a super charger and I have been having some sillyness I havnt figured out yet my car is now runing 190 but I keep getting colant overflow from the expansion tank but the car dosnt over heat I think I might have some air in the lines yet.

·
Registered
07 Exige S
1,662 Posts
Mine use to rest at 188-192F.

When I had the oil line recall I put in a prorad 3pass radiator, puller fans, 170F thermostat and all new coolant. My temp sits at stasis at 176F.

It is hard pressed even when sitting still in traffic to hit 192F. I often wonder if it is actually good to be at 176F or not ? What is too low ? We already know what is too high.

Sorry to hear about your car passing away ucfchris84. What happened ?

·
Registered
424 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sunday night I had just exited the highway doing bout 35-40 around the turn and the backend got loose where the water sprinklers apparently watered more of the road then the grass. I couldn't save it and ended up through the bushes and slamming into a tree at full speed. Would have ended up deep in the lake if it wasn't for the tree so looking back kinda thankful for the tree. I posted pics under the Salvage Forum

1 - 20 of 21 Posts