The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brake and reverse lights dont work after pulling them off and putting back on!!

Long story short... I pulled off my 4 back tail lights and completely took my dash off and removed passenger airbag.

Haven't put the dash back together yet, but plugged in the ignition panel - with the headlights and ignition switch and running lights etc. and put the tail lights back in so I could drive/move the car.

Now my brake lights and reverse lights dont work. But the brake lightbar works when I press the brake pedal (just not the back led tail lights), The headlights work, the turn signal works, the running lights work (sidemarkers work when signals are on etc etc)

I checked fuses they are all good. I switched the tail lights around to make sure they weren't put back in reversed. I checked the ignition panel to make sure i didnt switch those wires around. I plugged in the hazard switch on shifter column.

I don't know what else could be wrong I'm at a loss. The tail lights were unmodified unopened etc. nothing was changed with those.

Ideas please anyone!!

[email protected]

Thanks, Graham

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Might ask Charlie. He's worked with gauges and lights alot I would think on his new dash projects.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Check all your wires behind that panel with the ignition button on it. On my 07 Exige S, the wiring is weird. I had to fish out a wheel well bolt spline that got pushed into that area (I actually found it). All of the wires are tagged, but there are more male than female, or the other way around. I do not have back up lights in my car (I don't know why!!!), but everything else works.

I will email you the service manual, which includes a lot of schematics. You did not mention the make and year of your car OR I am too lazy to find it :p
If the schematics don't help or don't include your year and model, let me know and I will take some pictures of inside that panel and of my rear lights and harness. This would be for a 2007 Exige S. I can also take pics of my dad's 2005 Elise if this would be a closer match.

Let me know how things pan out. I feel your pain... Why doesn't my exige have backup lights? :(

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Brake and reverse lights dont work after pulling them off and putting back on!!

Long story short... I pulled off my 4 back tail lights and completely took my dash off and removed passenger airbag.

Haven't put the dash back together yet, but plugged in the ignition panel - with the headlights and ignition switch and running lights etc. and put the tail lights back in so I could drive/move the car.

Now my brake lights and reverse lights dont work. But the brake lightbar works when I press the brake pedal (just not the back led tail lights), The headlights work, the turn signal works, the running lights work (sidemarkers work when signals are on etc etc)

I checked fuses they are all good. I switched the tail lights around to make sure they weren't put back in reversed. I checked the ignition panel to make sure i didnt switch those wires around. I plugged in the hazard switch on shifter column.

I don't know what else could be wrong I'm at a loss. The tail lights were unmodified unopened etc. nothing was changed with those.

Ideas please anyone!!

[email protected]

Thanks, Graham
OK, I'm assuming Federal Elise/Exige, 2006+

According to the manual, the connectors that go to the brake/reverse lights are labeled "RIHC" & "LIHC" (right inner harness connector and left inner harness connector). The high-mounted taillight is connected directly into the brake light circuit through wires only... so if that's working, I'd check your connectors to see if they're firmly seated...

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
haha ya sorry thought I put in ALL necessary info but guess not lol

its a 2006

This is ridiculous.. I checked all the dummy stuff, I guess its about to be time to run through all the wires with a voltage meter and a wiring schematic??

This has to have happened to somebody out there?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hmmmm, I am having the exact same issue except the dash hasn't been apart. Any quick ideas before taking it to the dealership? Fuse is good, all plugs are in solid. 07 Exige S.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Both brake and reverse? If so it must be the ground connection because that is the only thing that is common. Check those, or run a temporary ground wire to prove it.
Cheers,
Michael
Hmmmm, I am having the exact same issue except the dash hasn't been apart. Any quick ideas before taking it to the dealership? Fuse is good, all plugs are in solid. 07 Exige S.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Both brake and reverse? If so it must be the ground connection because that is the only thing that is common. Check those, or run a temporary ground wire to prove it.
Cheers,
Michael
Didn't catch his reverse lights weren't working either. Reading comprehension > me, lol. Just checked, in reverse my two center lights (led rings) come on. Don't know if I am supposed to or not but there aren't any white bulbs that come on in reverse. It seems all lights work except the two outer brake lights. Blinkers, Hazards, reverse and third brake light all seem to be working.

Where is the ground run to/from? As far as I can tell it isn't run directly to the batt, it looks like it is running through the harness out of the boot and into the engine bay from each individual light.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Check that you have 12 volts on one wire and a good ground on the other.
I wonder if we are related.....my last name is Hayes ;)
Michael
Didn't catch his reverse lights weren't working either. Reading comprehension > me, lol. Just checked, in reverse my two center lights (led rings) come on. Don't know if I am supposed to or not but there aren't any white bulbs that come on in reverse. It seems all lights work except the two outer brake lights. Blinkers, Hazards, reverse and third brake light all seem to be working.

Where is the ground run to/from? As far as I can tell it isn't run directly to the batt, it looks like it is running through the harness out of the boot and into the engine bay from each individual light.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Sometimes, you just have to switch the plugs. ;)

Seriously though, the harness is aligned so you would think the outside plug is the one on the outside but no, it is the one on the inside. rotfl :rolleyes:

Also, don't think I have relatives in FL. Hayes is such a common name though...

·
Registered
341 Posts
Any updates to this thread? I'm having the exact same problem. I replaced my two outer brakelights because of some dead LEDS. Now, all the lights in the back work EXCEPT my outer brake lights (center brake light works).

Thanks,

-Paul

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
During the replacement did you reconnect the wrong plugs.
Michael
Any updates to this thread? I'm having the exact same problem. I replaced my two outer brakelights because of some dead LEDS. Now, all the lights in the back work EXCEPT my outer brake lights (center brake light works).

Thanks,

-Paul

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
did you plug in the brackets with plugs? is everything plugged in?

in the case of GPheck, he forgets to plug in the bracket with box attached..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts