The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the stealth bulbs from Bane in another thread. I have an Exige with driving lights and I don't see how it is possible to get anything through that little hole that will release the clip holding in the turn indicator (as the manual describes). The problem is the driving lights.

Has anyone been able to do this? What tool should I try (I've tried nearly everything I have)? Is there any other way to get them out?

I'm thinking about not taping them in for tomorrow's autocross and hoping they pop out. :p

·
Registered
263 Posts
Hey Ian - I hear you on the driving lights - it makes the job more difficult but I was able to do it with them on (of course two bolts and there off) - go to the sands museum website - there is a picture of the housing - it will give you an idea of what you are working with. I ended up with a flatheaded screwdriver - about 8 inches long - coming in at a steep angle - the clip you are trying to compress sits right at the top of the clam. So visualize compressing that clip.

First one will take you 20 minutes - 2nd side - much faster once you get a feel for it.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Ian - I hear you on the driving lights - it makes the job more difficult but I was able to do it with them on (of course two bolts and there off) - go to the sands museum website - there is a picture of the housing - it will give you an idea of what you are working with. I ended up with a flatheaded screwdriver - about 8 inches long - coming in at a steep angle - the clip you are trying to compress sits right at the top of the clam. So visualize compressing that clip.

First one will take you 20 minutes - 2nd side - much faster once you get a feel for it.
Thanks Benjamin-:up:
When you say 8 inches, are you including the handle?

I don't think I can take my driving lights off that easily; I can't remove my grill without removing the clam.

·
Registered
263 Posts
- maybe 10 or 11 with the handle - I am not a %100 sure you need the whole length though - if you watch the housing while inserting the screw driver - you should see it shift a little if your hitting it - go with a longer screw driver if not.

Unless your setup if different then my 07 S Exige - you should see two small hex head screws that hold your driving lights to brackets mounted behind - actually - I am installing some HIDS into the driving lights now, let me grab a picture.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Oops - Hold the phone Ian! - I just tried with the driving lights in place and I don't think you can do it (I must have taken them off...) - here is a photo showing the screws which you can remove to get the light off - note mine are allen head - yours will be hex - I switched them after the fact. Remove the lights - so you can get the proper angle to hit the housing with.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ah-Ha!

Thanks. It does seem that your cut-out for the driving lights is larger than mine. I'm afraid if I try to remove mine the screws will fall inside, or I will not be able to get them back in. Do you cut that larger yourself (and put in the plastic lining?) Mine is just mesh going right up to the light itself.

·
Registered
263 Posts
You know - I had the dealer do it - so I am not sure if it comes in the driving lights kit like that or not...

That said, it is a bear working with those screws! No elbow room on these machines I am afraid!

The nut is welded onto the bracket behind so no worries there - just make sure not to lose the screw - there small - maybe M4s? And if you lose one - make sure to replace it with a stainless - made that mistake once - rusted up quick...

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all for the help and suggestions. In order to bring this thread to a close...........

Magnetize your screwdriver, remove the driving lights and voila! It's a five minute job.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
You know - I had the dealer do it - so I am not sure if it comes in the driving lights kit like that or not...
Nope. That's a cut standard grille.

Last I checked there wasn't a "kit" for the Exige and the center grille had to be ordered separately. Since it's bonded in place, most just cut the grille rather than replace it.

Thank you all for the help and suggestions. In order to bring this thread to a close...........

Magnetize your screwdriver, remove the driving lights and voila! It's a five minute job.
Thanks. I'll be @#$!! if I can get anything to line up through that little hole in the clam. My next step was going to be to pull the lamps to see if I could reach up in there.
:up:

I don't know how the guys without driving lamps are managing it.
:shrug:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts