The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to paint the yellow "Sparco" on my steering wheel white.. Any suggestions? Testor's model paint and tiny brush or what? Any prep?

Also I have a lotus emblem graphic that I want to put on the horn button, but it's not flat.. its made for the dome shaped sparco emblem. What could I do to make the horn button flat? I was thinking a plastic filler or bondo or something? then sand and paint black and clue lotus emblem on there..
Any specific brands of product anyone can recommend? Also any other ideas of how to do this?

thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
693 Posts
For the SPARCO Lettering you can mask off and use any acrylic paint and a wet rag. Just fill in the letters and wipe the surface without wiping the letters similar to how a grooved shift nob is colored.

For the emblem, how thick is the lotus emblem? would it be possible to dremel the back of the emblem to match the curvature of the horn button? if not, perhaps add a 1-2 mm piece to the back of the emblem and THEN dremel out the back to match the curvature. Then it will sit flush.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For the SPARCO Lettering you can mask off and use any acrylic paint and a wet rag. Just fill in the letters and wipe the surface without wiping the letters similar to how a grooved shift nob is colored.

For the emblem, how thick is the lotus emblem? would it be possible to dremel the back of the emblem to match the curvature of the horn button? if not, perhaps add a 1-2 mm piece to the back of the emblem and THEN dremel out the back to match the curvature. Then it will sit flush.

the emblem is a sticker from chuforia graphix.. like the ones for the wheel caps.. black lotus emblem.. pretty thick but its flexible and not suitable to dremel. I'm leaning more towards a plastic filler to put on the horn button then sand down flat but just don't know which product to use or how well it works.

I'm thinking of pm'ing the guy that adds the mesh to the stock plastic pieces? I'd imagine they'd need to use something to fill/smooth/sand after trimming/dremeling the stock plastic pieces but idk..

thanks for the input any other ideas welcome!

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
For the Sparco logo - easy:

- Testors Model Paint. Small brush. Have paint thinner/denatured alcohol and wipe across the surface to remove excess. A baby wipe works great.

- Horn button - It sounds like you are trying to get the surface smooth and flat for the decal to lay flat. My thought would be dremel/sand/fill/sand.

I really like the Plastifix products - their stuff is used for plastic repair all the time, including motorcycle fairings. Their plastic filler is great stuff and dries quickly. Or you can just go to any local body shop and see if they have any plastic filler they'd sell you.

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
It looks like your car is stripped utilitarian for tracking. Just wondering why the Sparco color even matters?...

That paint adds weight!:D

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
- Horn button - It sounds like you are trying to get the surface smooth and flat for the decal to lay flat. My thought would be dremel/sand/fill/sand.

I really like the Plastifix products - their stuff is used for plastic repair all the time, including motorcycle fairings. Their plastic filler is great stuff and dries quickly. Or you can just go to any local body shop and see if they have any plastic filler they'd sell you.
The other thing you can do is get some thin double sided tape, cut out a circle the size you need and use that to fill any airspace that you're concerned about (which, again, isn't real-world concern in this instance). Way, way easier than sand/fill/sand/fill/sand/fill, etc.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The other thing you can do is get some thin double sided tape, cut out a circle the size you need and use that to fill any airspace that you're concerned about (which, again, isn't real-world concern in this instance). Way, way easier than sand/fill/sand/fill/sand/fill, etc.
..tried the double sided tape thing before and I just couldn't get it to lay right.

I'll try that plastic filler and sand.. shouldn't take too long though becuase it doesn't have to be perfect just flat(er) than it is

thanks everyone for your help

1 - 9 of 9 Posts