The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
help posting pics lotus 40

i think i have most figured out but when i get to the attachments and try to download pic it says file is to big how do i make file smaller? i was practicing down loading a pic of my brothers lotus 40 he is restoring. im hoping to get my car soon and deff want to show off.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
The file size depends on: 1) The resolution of the image (i.e. 640x480. 800x600, 1024x768, etc.); 2) The color depth (i.e. 8 bit, 16 bit, 24 bit, etc.); and, 3) The level of compression used when creating the jpeg file.

The resolution of the image also affects how large the picture is on the display screen. You've probably noticed some pictures posted that are so big you have to scroll both up/down and left/right to see them. Not necessarily bad, but usually inconvenient. For a forum like this, 800x600 or 1024x768 are usually an appropriate size. That will also usually result in file sizes of around 90KB to 150KB with a moderate level of compression (usually selected as n on a scale of 1-100). A selection fo 75-80 is usually a good compromise for this purpose.

To change these attributes, you need some kind of graphics editing program. One I often recommend is IrfanView. It is fairly simple to use, can convert many image file types to others and is FREE. It is not a PhotoShop competitor in that you can only do simple image operations. However, its ease of use and cost make it ideal for simple things like controlling the size of an image and its file size.

IrfanView can be downloaded at: http://www.irfanview.com/

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.