The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Gurus,
2006 Elise under 8K miles, 1 owner, no options whatsoever, soft top only.
You can argue that it is the lightest 2006 elise or say it even lacks the very basic options. No accidents, clean title and carfax.
What would be a good # to pay?
Help Please!
Cheers.
--njexpress
P.S: I know how much teh car is worth for me - It is worth market value :D
I am not going to epitomize it for what it is not...:no:

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
30k +/-

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
yup - they are planning on selling it for less. But I'm not a guru. Just a guy who bought one last year w/5900 miles.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
private party, one owner, showroom condition, a 3" folder full of service history/documentation, hardtop, touring. The guy wanted 29,500, i got it for 27k. Looking back on it, it was worth 30k, but he needed the money, and there were many more cars for sale at that point in time. I postured like I would have turned it down if he pressed for more, but the truth is I was willing to pay 29.5 if I had to. It's a very special car. Just put more into it it at BOE for their supercharger. There are fewer clean low mileage examples available this year. If you find the one that speaks to you - you better grab it. A couple thousand up or down means very little when there aren't anymore cars being made.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Komiko - So: 30k + 2K if you do not mind the rarity - I am also thinking that Odds are, if you dont make the numbers now, thiose numbers should definitely be doable past september, what say?

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Thanks Komiko - So: 30k + 2K if you do not mind the rarity - I am also thinking that Odds are, if you dont make the numbers now, thiose numbers should definitely be doable past september, what say?
possibly - but that one may already be in the new owner's hands, if it's a clean example. In other words - you start over looking again in September, hoping to find a clean low mileage example again. Gets harder with time. If you find the car - buy it now, it will just be harder later.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you - Yes the possibility exists that the price may not drop. I am just going to play it by ear and see what happens - I will keep the forum posted.
Cheers.
--njexpress

·
3Xtothe0[]
489 Posts
komiko is right, from what I've been able to research the cars are going to get harder and harder to find, thats why dealers are asking 35k. They would have been laughed at 2 years ago for having too high of a price but now :shrug:. Very low production numbers added with very high demand including [wrecked, damaged and salvaged cars] that are no longer imported makes for a very tight market. Don't even talk about looking for your color combo :no:.

Yes,I would call them collectables at this point....

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
the other thing to realize is that while it all sounds nice and casual - buying my car last year - i actually looked a year before i found it. Bordeaux/blck, touring, ht,5900 miles 1 owner etc.When I found what i wanted, i bought it. So if you are not picky, be laid back about it and settle for what's around in the fall. Or go crazy and start looking now for the car you want in terms of mileage/color etc, and take as long as it takes to find it. Then just buy the damn thing.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
well 1 thing about the price drops usually experienced around fall/winter in the past was the fact that more were being made, and whenever there is a new model of a car, regardless of the body style, prices will drop.
That isn't happening this year. I wouldn't sweat the mileage too much either. 8000 or 20000, difference is a year of daily driving

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
totally, got a great price, buying from a great guy, and here is the crazy part, the guy just keeps throwing in stuff i didnt know about. We agreed on a price (lower than he asked for) then he goes:
"oh, almost forgot about the car cover"
"oh, almost forgot about the painted center console"
"oh almost forgot about the unikey assembly"
"oh there is also an upgraded stereo"
"oh i have an extra wheel"
"oh, I also installed a factory wing on it"
he even offered to let me borrow his license plates and store whatever I couldn't take at his place. Don't think i could have asked for a better seller
car has 22k miles and has been over pampered

assuming everything goes as planned, I should be in a lotus elise by the 21st. Found insurance for $800 a year and I'm 21 (been working as an engineer for 1 year now, so i can sustain it)!!!! Parents said they will cosign a loan for me, giving me a <2% rate. I think the stars are aligning for me on this one!

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I wouldn't sweat the mileage too much either. 8000 or 20000, difference is a year of daily driving
often said by those who themselves have higher mileage cars.

Yet there's certainly an added value when the cars have low "weekend" miles on them and haven't been tracked.

first thing I think of when I hear of an Elise with high miles, has a 3" stack of service records, lots of modifications and a rear wing= a car that's been built for and driven hard. Which is why even with such modifications they end up going for less, because they're harder to sell.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you, all! This really helps. I will keep everyone posted on my decision.
Cheers!
--njexpress

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks all - I will keep you posted on the next steps.
I am going to take my chances if I dont get the right price and wait it out...
cheers.
--njexpress

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Namoom! Yes, there is nothing on NADA and I did look up KBB, which is a dealer super friendly publication to begin with - No offense to dealerships - they are in the business to make money and they will do what they can to further their case.
KBB shows EXCELLENT dealer value at 32,100 which in itself is considered to be a priced on the higher side. I can assure you that if it is pre owned 2006, it cannot be "EXCELLENT" period! If it is, then does not get listed on inventory sites and it usually goes to a fancy car show auction...
So my gut feel, $31K should be the fair market value, preadjusted to demand vs. supply. Anything more is just plain impulse based. Other cars will come by at better prices - So long as we dont get impulsive, it is very reasonable to expect to find the right vehicle at the right price for both parties...
Also, if is going to be a keeper, it is imperative to have the basic creature comforts like the touring pack... Just my $0.02...
Cheers!
--njexpress

·
3Xtothe0[]
489 Posts
I would say that Namooms purchase price is right where they are at now. :cool: Good luck searching but you better be ready to jump quick when you find the one you want. Remember, there are many other people searching as you are and the good cars at good prices get bought quick.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I just bought my 06 for about $33k with 9k miles, clear title

Most banks use NADA values and while there are NADA vaules for the 05 elises they don't even recognize the existence of the 06 or 07 (not enough have been bought/sold to build stats)

2006 Lotus Price & 2006 Lotus Value | NADAguides | 2006 Lotus Dealer Price
...not entirely correct, look under "classic cars"...

2007 Lotus Elise 2 Door Coupe Prices, Values & Specs | NADAguides

http://www.nadaguides.com/Classic-Cars/2006/Lotus/Elise/2-Door-Coupe/Values

1 - 20 of 44 Posts