The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I have a 2005 lotus Elise with 37xxx miles. Not sure of past service/recalls. Now to what I do now, all fluid has been changed and all the liquids in the car are up to date. This evening the car developed a strange sound when shifting Ito first from a dead stop. Almost like a squealing, this will only happen when taking off from a dead stop. All other gears/noises are normal. Any idea of what could be the culprit. Thank you in advance and any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Less is Better
2,790 Posts
Does it make the sound when pressing the clutch, moving the lever into first, lifting the clutch, or when the car actually starts to move?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks

only when the car starts to move. very frustrating. i bought the car yesterday and now this :facepalm

·
Less is Better
2,790 Posts
If it squeaks when the engine is under load like moving from a stop, it can be the serpentine belt or the alternator. That's just a shot in the dark without any other information.

·
Vroom vroom
507 Posts
I hear a noise in similar conditions, it sounds like a chirping noise. I looked at the serpentine belt, looks good as new... Might be some bearings wearing out!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
does this help

ok i had one of my mechanics look at the engine while moving forward and it appears the engine moves around quiet a bit. Is this normal? If not could this be a motor mount?

·
Less is Better
2,790 Posts
The engine mounts in the car are known to be soft, but not really known to wear out. Can you describe the noise in any more detail or maybe get a sound clip?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks

It almost sounds like a high pitch screech that last only a second or two tops. I will try to upload a video tomorrow.

·
Less is Better
2,790 Posts
It almost sounds like a high pitch screech that last only a second or two tops. I will try to upload a video tomorrow.
Don't bother taking the video. It's the belt or your alternator (or other) bearing is going out and it's causing the belt to rub on the pulley instead of spinning it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok

and it has started doing this randomly in reverse from a stop. do you think it would still be the above issue? i am getting it checked out monday.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Identified

Ok so my me bank. Has identified that it is coming from the clutch area and that he is almost positive that it is the throw out bearing. Does this sound accurate to you all that have been around for a while? While he is in there I am going to get him to replace everything. Any suggestions on which clutch kit/flywheel would be right for me? Car is a dd and is never tracked. Thank you in advance.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts