The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of overhauling the suspension on my 2005 Elise and I could use some help on separating the hub/carrier assembly from the driveshaft so that I can refinish the carriers.

I bought a FWD hub puller as suggested in this thread, but I'd like a sanity check before I put a lot of force on it:

For one thing I don't understand how anyone could use this puller with a ratchet or breaker bar...it's mounted to the hub using two wheel bolts, so it just spins with the hub if I try to tighten the center puller bolt. Makes me wonder if I'm setting it up wrong. Here's a picture (the wood is just supporting the weight of the hub assembly, car is safely on jack stands)

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Rim Gas

I have a cordless impact gun, I'm just nervous to break something since I've never done this before. I really don't want to end up replacing the driveshaft if I mess up. The car has 48k miles so I assume it could be rusted together pretty well. I've been spraying PB Blaster into the joint and I lubed the threads on the hub puller...trying to maximize chances of success.

·
Administrator
8,301 Posts

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Once you are confident that you are applying force to the right things and you have soaked with penetrating oil for at least 12 hours, apply some force and then tap with a hammer on either the hub or the axle just to shock the interface.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

·
Addict
2007 Lotus Exige S
1,603 Posts
You can wedge a large screwdriver in that tool to hold it from spinning if needed, but try not to use too much pressure in a short amount of time. I don’t think I used an impact when mine was stuck on there. PB blaster, pressure, taps with a hammer and let it soak with the pressure applied over night if needed. I don’t like the hammer method on the drive shaft, too easy to damage threads.

·
Administrator
8,301 Posts
I was trying to remember back when I did mine a couple of years ago and can't remember if it was shaft nut or the puller that I bought a corded impact driver on sale at HF to get off but it was the quick fix. #8 might help also Can't get the axle out of the hub

·
Registered
727 Posts
I would highly recommend leafing the nut on the end. Keeps the tip of the shaft happy-something we all can appreciate!
You could also tap with two hammers simultaneously.
I know it sounds corny, but a hair drier sort of works. Remember, your brakes create heat when used. So pressure and tapping is good, a bit of heat doesnt hurt.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone, I'll try again with some of these suggestions after Thanksgiving. My garage is already getting cold so I can see how even gentle heat could make a difference.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts