The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just got back from Symbolic in La Jolla and sat in their demo car. Unfortunately the seats are to narrow for my rear. I am 5'11" and weigh about 220lbs. The seat width is to narrow and the side rails pinch my a$$ which would get very uncomfortable after about 5-10 minutes of driving.

However, I wonder if the side rails can be bent out a little to accomodate my back side. Anyone have experience making adjustments like this in car seats? Can it be done or am I screwed. Please, no weight jokes here as I am only about 10 pounds over weight and this is the frame I was given in life...

·
Registered
866 Posts
I am about your same weight, and I had no problems. I guess I am about 6'3" and 220, bt I carry mot of the weight in the upper body. I am aware of a few companies that sell replacement seats, but I don't know if they will work out for you. You should check a few of the sponsors here in this website. Also, is you were sitting in the passenger seat it is differnet than the drivers. Apparently it is 2/3 of ths size. I don't think that you will be able to bend the frame, and I don't think you would really want to anyway. While I found that it was a tight fit for me, it was very comfortable. Best of luck, you might want to contact the manufacturer about the dimensions of the replacement seats. Other than that, sorry to heatr about your luck.

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
I'm 6'2 220# and the seats are snug. I will have to lose some weight for sure if I will be driving the Elise much.

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
It's hard to say, but it seems like your best bet is to evaluate a seat upgrade available aftermaret. The side rails are part of the chassis and cannot be bent. Good luck, I hope it turns out well for you.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Yep, losing the weight probably the cheapest if you really want the car. Aftermarket seats like Sector is offering an option, but no padding, don't know how comfy it'd be on a daily driver.
Chris

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Here are my complete thoughts:

http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=73339#post73339

I had a chance to sit inside the demo car and "try it on for size."

I know that I had test driven the euro 111s, but I was surprised to find that getting in and out with the top on was SIGNIFICANTLY more difficult. It felt like I was getting into a child-sized car.

Not only that, but once I was in, I still felt cramped. Even a little chlaustrophobic maybe. It wasn't like I was crushed, but everything was just a little too close, if you know what I mean. The pedals made me bend my knees just enough. The seat squished my 38" waist just enough. The steering wheel was just up in my face enough to make me feel a little cramped. I think it would be ok for racing or short trips, but I can for sure say that I will not be using the Elise for long rides.

Also, the pedals were not only close together, but the gas is also close to the footwell wall, which made it impossible for me to push on the gas w/o simultaneously applying brakes (in normal shoes). This means that no matter where I go, I'm either going to have to wear driving shoes in the elise and change out after or drive barefoot (is that even legal?) and put shoes on afterwards. OR I'm going to have to learn to drive w/ my foot cocked sideways unconfortably.

Oh yeah, and there's no cupholder.

So now I'm questioning if getting the Elise would be like trying to squeeze into some 36" jeans? Looks just right at first sight, but put it on and still looks good, but feels a little tight?

What is one to do?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually it is not the side rails of the chassis but rather the side rails within the seats. There are bars on the seat bolster that dig into my a$$. If they could be bent outwards ever so slightly it would make just the right amount of room for my back yard to fit...

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
aletes, khamai means that every 5 pounds you cut (at 2000 lbs) is like adding 1 hp. He's referring to the power/weight curve.

·
Registered
677 Posts
transio said:
aletes, khamai means that every 5 pounds you cut (at 2000 lbs) is like adding 1 hp. He's referring to the power/weight curve.
I know that ... I was just kidding. I was just poking some fun at an over simplification of the power to weight curve. It relieves the driving boredom while I wait for my car.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Add this to the "killing time while I wait for my car" file:

Orginally posted by Transio -

I'm either going to have to wear driving shoes in the elise and change out after or drive barefoot (is that even legal?)

It is a long-running myth that driving barefoot is not legal. In California, it is perfectly legal to drive barefoot. My guess is that this is the same in other states.

We can all sleep better knowing this.

·
Registered
534 Posts
heatmiser said:
I am 5'11" and weigh about 220lbs.

Please, no weight jokes here as I am only about 10 pounds over weight and this is the frame I was given in life...
A 5'11" male is supposed to weigh 210lbs? :confused:

·
Registered
970 Posts
khamai said:
5 lbs = 1 hp
who's got a calculator?

Seriously, everyone's frame is different and the seats are snug for those that have a wide structure across the hips. Best bet is likely to be aftermarket seats.

so Im one of the few that will get the 200bhp Elise???...:D :D :D

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Snowphun wrote:
A 5'11" male is supposed to weigh 210lbs?
It depends on body frame and musculature. I, for example have a completely lean body weight of 192 pounds. (measured by submerging myself in a water tank and blowing out all air in my lungs except for the tidal breath... essentially the last bit of air in my lungs.) If I factor in 10% body fat as an average for males, I should weigh about 213 pounds.

Heatmeister: I'm about your height (5'10.5") and weigh about 246 - 250 pounds currently. I actually fit pretty well. Where do you find that you don't fit? In the torso area or the thigh area? If it's the torso area, try sliding your butt forward about an inch to move your torso down the seat slightly.

To Everyone: What's up with Symbolic's "The demo won't be PDI'd until next week..." spiel? Grumble. Had I known that, I would have arranged for us to meet-up on August 1st! Oh well... c'est la vie!

Bob

·
Supporting Vendor
4,130 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
Aftermarket seats like Sector is offering an option, but no padding, don't know how comfy it'd be on a daily driver.
Chris
Actually our ReVerie seats have a padding option. We will have the seats in stock in a couple of weeks. Come on up to our shop and test fit your hiney...:D

·
Supporting Vendor
4,130 Posts
ReVerie 'Musanne' carbon fiber seat dimensions:

Dimensions (in mm):

A: External max width at shoulder = 470

B: Seat bottom to mid shoulder = 630

C: External max width at base = 405

D: Inside max width at hips = 325

E: Max height = 920

F: Base length (approx) = 450

G: Back inclination (degrees) = 60

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Hey Shinoo,
What are the main differences and pros/cons between the three models (B, C, and S)? Seems to be materials.

Anyway, let me know as soon as they come in!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts