The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While swapping out rear rotors this afternoon, I discovered that one of the boots on the "top-guide bush" had cracked or torn. Note I'm talking about the boots that seal the bush through which the upper bolt runs to secure the caliper to the hub assembly. I'm NOT talking about the boot surrounding the piston. Does anyone know where to find these boots?

While I'm on the point, has anyone figured out where to source ALL of the rubber boots and dust covers for both the front and rear calipers? I might as well buy a whole complete set while I'm at it, provided I can get them from anyone other than Lotus.

Thanks,
Twin
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
606 Posts
Funny, I was just asking around about that exact boot (which I screwed up myself) last week and had little luck. Lotus sells a "kit" for $80ish that has that part but I was hoping to just get the part I needed for way less ;)
Please let me know if you have better luck than I.

PS You getting much sleep these days? :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
975 Posts
+1

i tore this boot as well while being careless in changing rear pads. a mechanic friend advised it was no immediate crisis but better replace sooner rather than later . . . .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
813 Posts
Do we have pics of this boot?

I replaced my brake pads once, but didn't see any torn boots, or maybe I just didn't notice them?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
606 Posts
It's a Brembo caliper and it uses the same pad shape as a Viper so Dodge might be a potential source too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your help. The problem is not yet solved, however. Here's what I think I've learned. The caliper wasn't used as a primary caliper on the Viper but as the emergency brake caliper (I've been told) for Vipers circa 2005 (2003-2006?). My local Dodge dealer won't sell the boots. Like Lotus, the dealer wants to sell a full rebuild kit. The cost is $65 or so, but b/c it's not stocked, I'd have to commit to buying it, regardless of whether it'll work for me. My local Lotus dealer wants almost $100 for the same rebuild kit, but at least it's assured to work. The caliper may have been used on earlier Dodge models (circa 1980s), but they were unable to find any dealers anywhere in the country that still stock the part. Brembo USA was distinctly (un)helpful. "We actually sell a caliper for the Lotus? Wow, I didn't know that." Sector111 didn't have a clue (but were nice about it). EliseParts in the UK said that they plan to put together a rebuild kit also, but they do not yet have one. I'm going to look at some industrial rubber companies to see if I can fabricate something that will work. It's not as if this does anything other than prevent grit from getting onto the grease that allows the caliper to float. But if anyone has any suggestions, I'd be most grateful for them...

Twin
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,983 Posts
look in hemmings for an outfit that rehabs calipers. they probably get these for a couple of bucks each. you may need to send the broken piece for comparison.
the starter and alternator stuff is likewise surprisingly cheap if you can get to the right people.
good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,063 Posts
Evil Twin said:
Thanks for your help. The problem is not yet solved, however. Here's what I think I've learned. The caliper wasn't used as a primary caliper on the Viper but as the emergency brake caliper (I've been told) for Vipers circa 2005 (2003-2006?). ]
I think the very early Vipers (1992? Not up to speed with when they were introduced) used these as their main rear brakes. Later ones got biger/better brakes.

At least they share the pad shape. Doesn't mean the calipers are exactly the same of course.

Pity you don't have Renault selling cars in the USA anymore as parts of the rear brakes on the Laguna 2.0 models are the same as on the Elise.

Bye, Arno.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
655 Posts
The rear caliper is in fact the same as an early Viper caliper. And it was used as the main rear caliper, not just the parking brake. Same caliper as used on early 90's Dodge Monaco, Eagle premier too! rebuild kits available from Auto Specialties (a division of TRW) part # KC-83017 for about $6 each. I have rebuild instructions for the 'non serviceable' calipers if you need them.

The rear bolts, slides and external rubber bits are Mopar part#RN4423504

The Brembo 36mm piston seal is Brembo # BRE05.5955.56

The rear Elise brakes are on the weak side. The rears can be bored out and sleeved to 38 or even 40mm. Brembo has these parts available. Clamping force is increased by 26%.

Front seals are available from any AP dealer. 44.45mm or 1.75"

Or as Arno says, Renault Lagoona:D part #77 01 205 496

As you can tell, I've played with the brakes a bit!

Hope this helps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gold mine! YOU (and Arno) are a gem. I've been floundering around in the dark and just dropped an email to a friend of mine in Germany to try to source these for me. Hopefully, I can find them myself directly now. Thanks so much! And, YES, I'd love the rebuild instructions for our "nonrepairable" calipers. When I read that in the manual, I found myself going, "yeah, right..." :lol: Can you PM them to me?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I spoke too soon. :shrug: I've spent half an hour trying to track down the Mopar part numbers online and AutoSpecialties without success. Any advice?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Moi non plus... but I'd love it if we can collectively crack this code.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
975 Posts
lotusmark said:
The rear caliper is in fact the same as an early Viper caliper. And it was used as the main rear caliper, not just the parking brake. Same caliper as used on early 90's Dodge Monaco, Eagle premier too! rebuild kits available from Auto Specialties (a division of TRW) part # KC-83017 for about $6 each. I have rebuild instructions for the 'non serviceable' calipers if you need them.

The rear bolts, slides and external rubber bits are Mopar part#RN4423504

The Brembo 36mm piston seal is Brembo # BRE05.5955.56

The rear Elise brakes are on the weak side. The rears can be bored out and sleeved to 38 or even 40mm. Brembo has these parts available. Clamping force is increased by 26%.

Front seals are available from any AP dealer. 44.45mm or 1.75"

Or as Arno says, Renault Lagoona:D part #77 01 205 496

As you can tell, I've played with the brakes a bit!

Hope this helps.
thanks for posting this info.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
lotusmark said:
I don't understand what you were trying to point to?
The BRE05.5955.56 piston seals are listed on these links and also the BRE20.4872.44 dust boot

So these two shops could perhaps get them...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
655 Posts
2-20 said:
The BRE05.5955.56 piston seals are listed on these links and also the BRE20.4872.44 dust boot

So these two shops could perhaps get them...
Now I see! Thanks!
 
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Top