The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I鈥檝e been working on upgrading to SSC shifter cables on my MY2007 Exige S, which turns out to be the most teadious job I鈥檝e ever attempted... I finally manage to get the old cables out, 2 hours of bleeding knuckles to get the clips out馃槶
New cables in and I鈥檓 now facing a spacer problem.
The amount of room on the cable heads is ginormous leaving me with the solution of placing 6 spacers on each one to avoid any wiggling and that really doesn鈥檛 look any good.
Do any of you know what I鈥檓 doing wring here?
Thanks for the support!!

Attachments

Registered
I drilled out the holes in the shifter and used larger hardware when I put mine together. There are still some spacers involved though.

Addict
Can you simply use shorter bolts? The hardware store may have metal tubes you can cut to length to use as a spacer instead of a few washers, I've been able to find these in metric sizes that fit very well over bolts almost like a sleeve.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
I drilled out the holes in the shifter and used larger hardware when I put mine together. There are still some spacers involved though.
Can you simply use shorter bolts? The hardware store may have metal tubes you can cut to length to use as a spacer instead of a few washers, I've been able to find these in metric sizes that fit very well over bolts almost like a sleeve.
Thanks for your imput! I鈥檓 not in a harderwarr friendly place right now, so I鈥檒l go with the washers for now and will upgrade to more appropriate stuff later.

Registered
There does appear to be something wrong in your assembly.

Should only require 3 of 1/4" ID washers and 1 of 3/16" ID washer.

Plate on gear shift lever should be drilled out so that the 1/4" dia shoulder bolt can slide right through the plate.

If this has been done then check that the length of the shoulder bolt shoulder is 5/8".

Assembly is 1/4" washer under shoulder bolt head, then through the cable rod end, another 1/4" washer, then through the gear lever plate, another 1/4" washer and a 3/16" washer, then nyloc nut.

Installation instructions are in a PDF on this page:

https://www.simplysportscars.com/shop/shift-cables/100700-ssc-shift-and-crossgate-cables

Registered
a little hard to tell from the angle of the photos, but I'm pretty sure the rose joint of the gear cable gets attached to the gear level with a bolt and a NYLOC NUT.
The nut has a nylon insert so it doesn't come loose. In your case, the nut looks like it's barely threaded. I think you should remove the excess 'spacers' as you call them and only use the supplied amount of 'washers'.
Then thread the bolt ALL THE WAY THROUGH the nyloc. There will be increased resistance when you have to overcome the nylon insert initially.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
There does appear to be something wrong in your assembly.

Should only require 3 of 1/4" ID washers and 1 of 3/16" ID washer.

Plate on gear shift lever should be drilled out so that the 1/4" dia shoulder bolt can slide right through the plate.

If this has been done then check that the length of the shoulder bolt shoulder is 5/8".

Assembly is 1/4" washer under shoulder bolt head, then through the cable rod end, another 1/4" washer, then through the gear lever plate, another 1/4" washer and a 3/16" washer, then nyloc nut.

Installation instructions are in a PDF on this page:

https://www.simplysportscars.com/shop/shift-cables/100700-ssc-shift-and-crossgate-cables
Haha, dismentles half a car but isn鈥檛 able to find pdf instructions on a website, so typical! Thanks for your help! shifter is working a treat with extra washers for now so I鈥檓 not going to fiddle with it for the time being. Plus I鈥檝e added gregs race parts gated grill which is phenomenal!

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
a little hard to tell from the angle of the photos, but I'm pretty sure the rose joint of the gear cable gets attached to the gear level with a bolt and a NYLOC NUT.
The nut has a nylon insert so it doesn't come loose. In your case, the nut looks like it's barely threaded. I think you should remove the excess 'spacers' as you call them and only use the supplied amount of 'washers'.
Then thread the bolt ALL THE WAY THROUGH the nyloc. There will be increased resistance when you have to overcome the nylon insert initially.
I checked, it鈥檚 a Nyloc nut and it鈥檚 nice and snug. 脦鈥檒l check everything is still in order and nicelly torked down in a couple hundred miles before I decide what to do.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
The gated shifter grill is a solid CNC aluminum piece that weighs next to nothing; having removed all the reverse blocking mechanism on the shifter + gator... I'm confident I'm not losing adding any weight with this (not that I'm too much worried about it anyways, hint I still have carpets and a radio ;p).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts