The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My early 2005 US Spec Elise sat since fall with the key inserted in the ignition. The battery was on a Battery Tender and the Immobilizer lamp was blinking. I forgot the start sequence to press the Immobilizer button on the key first and in the process pulled the key out of the ignition, When I went to reinsert the key it was blocked by the 'bar' you can see in the photo. I tried to spray the lock with graphite but to no avail. I even set off the alarm by pressing too many buttons. So as it sits the steering operates lock to lock, the key can not be inserted and the immobilizer locks and unlocks the doors without issue. I just bleed out the brake system and I was about to take advantage of a warm winter day for a ride. Help please Any suggestions or Advise Very much appreciated. 8477D560-69F5-46A8-AA6B-9F7D15F0FBD2_1_105_c.jpeg

·
Addict
1,299 Posts
The key lock can stick there when you pull out the key, seems to happen to me when it's a little cold out. Stick the key in as far as you can and turn it back and forth to try to release that bar. Might take a little heat if it's still cold and don't be too forceful to brake your key. Maybe a tiny screwdriver if that doesn't work but again be gentle.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The key lock can stick there when you pull out the key, seems to happen to me when it's a little cold out. Stick the key in as far as you can and turn it back and forth to try to release that bar. Might take a little heat if it's still cold and don't be too forceful to brake your key. Maybe a tiny screwdriver if that doesn't work but again be gentle.
Thank You LostPawn...I did try gently to pry the vertical 'bar' you see in the photo left and right and up and down with a small screwdriver. The key cannot be inserted far as the 'bar' is at the surface. I will try to put a large blade screwdriver in the key position and try to jiggle it back and forth if there is any play at all. As my shop is 30 miles from my home, any other suggestions very much welcomed for when I trek down to my shop and give it a try.

·
Addict
1,299 Posts
Keep trying, when this happens to me I put the key in (doesn't go far) and turn it on/off quickly a few times and that released the stuck/locked bar. Maybe some graphite and a hair dryer if it's cold (heat gun might be too hot). I usually listen for this when I remove the key so I can release it right away vs. waiting a day/week/month. I cannot recall how much access to the lock you have if you remove the upper and lower part of the steering column, its fairly easy to pull those covers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Keep trying, when this happens to me I put the key in (doesn't go far) and turn it on/off quickly a few times and that released the stuck/locked bar. Maybe some graphite and a hair dryer if it's cold (heat gun might be too hot). I usually listen for this when I remove the key so I can release it right away vs. waiting a day/week/month. I cannot recall how much access to the lock you have if you remove the upper and lower part of the steering column, its fairly easy to pull those covers.
I assume when you try this process, the immobilizer is has been in the 'start' mode...I think my efforts to move the bar were done with immobilizer 'on', though I am not sure as I tried a number of times. At least the graphite spray has had the opportunity to work as a day has passed. If I take the plastic covers off, is there another fix I can try?

·
Addict
1,299 Posts
I assume when you try this process, the immobilizer is has been in the 'start' mode...I think my efforts to move the bar were done with immobilizer 'on', though I am not sure as I tried a number of times. At least the graphite spray has had the opportunity to work as a day has passed. If I take the plastic covers off, is there another fix I can try?
I'm not sure it matters what the immobilizer is doing, all you are trying to do is open the physical key lock. The immobilizer does not control the key going into the lock, it just controls what happens when you push the start button. All you need to do is free the lock up to let the key in. If you remove the covers you will have access to the lock itself, might be able to remove it and/or tap on the outside of the lock to jostle that bar free?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought of tapping the uncovered lock first gently...then with a sledge! Kidding. Thanks, LostPawn

·
Addict
1,299 Posts
A couple threads like this, not all that uncommon it seems.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A couple threads like this, not all that uncommon it seems.

Thanks for the links, I tried to search web connections to this site, I don't know how to search for similar posts from this site.

·
Registered
658 Posts
mine has gotten stuck once before, and i fixed it by pressing on the grey keyhole with my thumb and turning. this allowed the mechanism to find its normal resting place. but i didn't have the steering wheel locked to cause binding.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the input and advice. A little WD 40 with pushing and rotating the barrel and it all popped into place.
This Forum is fantastic with owners happy to pass on their knowledge.

·
Registered
85 Posts
This happens to me every now and then. It seems that rotating the entire cylinder always lets it pop free. Normally happens when i remove the key in a single swift motion vs turning it off adn THEN pulling it out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts