The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

I recently bought an early Series 1 Elise, which broke down yesterday....

Motoring along happily then just lost all power with no warning. Engine turned over OK, could hear the fuel pump working, but wouldn't fire. Fuel gauge showing 18 litres but I suspected that it was faulty so added 5 litres of fuel (now showed 20 litres on gauge) and car started OK, ran for a couple of miles then lost all power again. Towed to garage and filled up (took 25 litres, but tank is 36 litres size....so tank was not empty) and has now done 60 miles with no problems.

Any ideas ? Fuel gauge must be faulty I think, but that doesn't explain why it stopped with fuel in the tank. I might be imagining it but I think the fuel pump sounds a little more noisy now ( I can hear it when driving).

I had a possibly similar problem just after buying the car when the gauge said refill and I drove for 30 miles or so, put it in the garage and it refused to fire and start a week later, even after adding 5 litres of fuel. Only when the fuel system was bled, at the filter union, did it start.

Any suggestions about cause of the problem and how to diagnose much appreciated.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Similar problem experienced ... HELP!

After driving for about 10 miles, fuel tank at 5/6 bars, start to lose power, buck a little, engine dies. I pull over. Wait a few minutes, car restarts.

Same thing the next day, this time car doesn't restart. I have it towed to the dealer. Dealer can't replicate the problem.

Now I can't figure out what to do. I can't risk driving it and having the car cut out on me mid-turn somewhere.

(Elise manufactured as 2006, titled in 2007).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts