The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to get a sweet drivers car. One that has feedback and a great feel. My background is Mustangs. My last three cars were mustangs. A stroked 347, a blown kenne belle 89, and a vortech blown with built motor 96 cobra. I'm tired of those cars so I sold them. I want something that "feels good" to drive instead of just being fast. To me, muscle cars are boring. Yeah fast acceleration is fun but I get more enjoyment out of the entire driving experience. Braking, shifting, cornering, heel/toe downshifts, and slamming a car into a corner. Acceleration in a straight line is probably the least exciting part about driving.

My question is that my budget is 31k right now. What are some cars I should be looking at? I'm looking at the 05-06 Elise, used Porsche boxster s, Mazda mx-5, used Porsche 911, used Honda s2000. I could probably get a new mx 5. I am fully aware that for the price I could get a used z06 vette or almost brand new 400hp mustang but like I said those type of cars are boring drive.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Get an inexpensive Elise, then supercharge it. That way you get some grunt to go with the handling. It should be doable with a 31k total budget.

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
I don't know. Maybe it's the season being spring but it seems 31k will only get you a damaged Elise or one without any options.
Where are you looking?!!! $31k buys a lot of Lotus in the 2005-2006 range! At that price it should be low miles/ near perfect condition...

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just got an 2006 elise. I think I knew that's what I wanted. It's a 2006 yellow with about 9k miles. I didnt really want a yellow, but these cars are awesome so who cares about the color. It has body paint damage on the passenger side rocker in front of the passenger wheel even though it has the starshield. The car has the sport package and LSD. No touring package or hardtop.

This car should be a little lighter than my previous mustangs!
If everything goes smooth, I'll post some pics of the car and maybe meet somebody at road Atlanta!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I definitely considered the boxster. But the 2.7 liter or whatever is just too slow. If you spend good money you get the s with the 3.2 or 3.4 liter. I don't drive with passengers. Studies have shown that almost 99% of driving involves no one in the back seat so why pay extra for something that slows you. So I'm thinking I might as well go for a two seater Boxster s, miata, Elise, ect.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Bah, I got my Elise a few months ago with touring/sportpack/optional leather pack for only 25K. They are out there, if you look, and are patient.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Where are you looking?!!! $31k buys a lot of Lotus in the 2005-2006 range! At that price it should be low miles/ near perfect condition...
Don't get his hopes up man. This forum told me i could buy an elise for under 29 and that's pretty much near impossible.

those that are sold for that price are insta-grabbed by car sellers (At least in north california)

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I just got an 2006 elise. I think I knew that's what I wanted. It's a 2006 yellow with about 9k miles. I didnt really want a yellow, but these cars are awesome so who cares about the color. It has body paint damage on the passenger side rocker in front of the passenger wheel even though it has the starshield. The car has the sport package and LSD. No touring package or hardtop.

This car should be a little lighter than my previous mustangs!
If everything goes smooth, I'll post some pics of the car and maybe meet somebody at road Atlanta!
Congratulations. I always shied away from the 2005's just because I didn't like the incandescent rear tail lights. I think the LED's on the 2006+ help keep its "modern" look a little longer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts