The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, I was doing some spirited driving in the mountains on some tires that should have been replaced a while ago, and after hitting some gravel and having a 100lb bag of tools in the trunk that I forgot about shift, I lost traction and just barely kissed the guardrail on the drivers side. It wasn't a hard impact at all, but there are a few aesthetic scratches that will have to be touched up.

Just recently I noticed the trip counter go from 38 miles one minute to 158 the next. I reset it and sure enough it mysteriously added on a good 50 miles. That's when I noticed the ODO went from 26,000 miles to 52,000 miles :eek:
Also the tachometer and speedometer are not fluctuating at all and no engine light. From what I can tell it mainly occurs when I turn the car off then back on.

Does anyone know what might be causing this? Would this be a problem at the gauges? Or at the other end.. wherever that might be located at?

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
ahhh, Ferris Bueler syndrome. Sounds like you need to have a dealer correct and document it, otherwise you will take a hit on your "high milage" car during resale.
It sure sounds like an instrument cluster problem (bad connection or failed cluster),
but if you see Ferris hanging around the neighborhood, give him a beat-down.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Welcome to the Elige's clusterfuk. My local dealer has one on order for our car as we speak. Lotus had been employing Ferris' friend Cameron to set the new clusters to your car's current mileage, but with the high failure rate of the clusters, and knowing that the problem was never solved so replacements will fail too, they fired poor Cam, and now will install a 0 mile cluster and a sticker for the car stating, "By the time you read this sticker, you've probably paid too much for this Lotus...Cheers"

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Only problem is the nearest dealer is 4 hours away. Can I have it documented by calling? I guess I can always get another cluster, but I am worried its not the cluster and I will have bought it for nothing. Also, is there no way to have the dealership set it to the correct miles? I mean I just bought it around October, and couldn't have possibly put 25,000 miles on it by now. My car is a rebuilt if it makes any difference (some front clam damage); I plan on keeping it for a Long time, but for sometime in the distant future if I do ever sell it, that would look awful fishy....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts