The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the blaupunkt acapulco mp54 head unit work without the key in the ignition?

A few months back I installed a Alpine pdx5. The amp is grounded to the drivers seat. To prevent a grounding loop, I installed a ground wire from the seat grounding point up into the dash so that the stereo and amp could have a common ground. I left the stereo grounded as original from the factory with the intention of replacing the unit and messing with the new ground at that point.

But I was getting enough ground loop noise that tonight I decided to connect the ground to the blaupunkt stereo. I cut the factory ground and soldered in the new ground wire to the seat location.

That eliminated me ground loop noise... PURRFECT

But I noticed the following behavior...

Key in ignition... stereo works.
Turn Key off... stereo works.
Pull Key out of ignition... Goodbye. Stereo OFF.
Push the Stereo ON button... stereo works.

I never noticed the stereo working before without the key in.
If this is not a feature, why would moving the stereos grounding location cause this?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kick A$$... I thought I fried something (cause I was too lazy to disconnect the battery... and did I mention I heard a weird ticking sound?)

THANKS!!!

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh yeah! I have played with the colors - tried to match the cluster orange but it just looked washed out... I liked the brighter orange... but the girl like the bright blue. I liked the girl - so blue. Now the girl is gone... but the blue stayed. Such as life!

Any suggestions?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts