The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
hate speed limits
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is ridiculous. I've changed dozens of tires on previous vehicles but the Elise is giving me issues...

I've removed all 4 lugs, used wd-40, and gently tapped her with a rubber mallet but she won't budge even the slightest bit. :huh: I've never touched the wheels on my Elise before, so I ask... Is there a special locking pin or something that needs to be removed? Or do I just need to get rough with her and pull really hard? It's the front wheels.

Thanks y'all. I searched the forum with no luck, but feel free to direct me to the right thread if there is one.

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
No pin. Just the 4 nuts. Well, 5 nuts actually in your case - the 4 wheel nuts and you :p (I'm just kidding!).

WD-40 is a "water displacer". That is what the WD stands for. It is not a penetrating lubricant such as PB Blaster or Kroil.

If you have all of the lugs off you just need to pull/tap harder with the mallet/use a penetrating lubricant (but be careful where it gets) to get it loose, as there is no other retaining item.

If you are pulling or "tapping", please be careful that you don't pull or "tap" hard enough to dislodge your car from the jack stand that it is on.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Don't be timid!
If it's really on there, some sharp blows with a rubber mallet (on the backside edge of the wheel) will be required--alternating "hits" on diagonals at 90 degrees would probably be a good idea, too.

·
hate speed limits
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks y'all. I kind of figured so, but I didn't want to start another thread about how I caused some major damage doing something so easy lol.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
The M100 has the same wheel removal issues. The problem is caused by the wheel being located via its center. A snug fit on between the center whole on the wheel and the hub can become very snug with a bit of corrosion.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
This is why some folks use anti-seize on the mating surface of the wheel to the hub (NOT on the lugs).
+! Always... :up:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts