The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2zzge cylinder head with full ferrea valvetrain, oem rockers and MWR stage 3 cams. What are the recommended valve lash adjustment specs for intake and exhaust?
I contacted JCR and they told me .014” for both intake and exhaust.

·
Administrator
4,405 Posts
He's been building that head/ valve train combo for years so I would use his recommendations.

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
I have a 2zzge cylinder head with full ferrea valvetrain, oem rockers and MWR stage 3 cams. What are the recommended valve lash adjustment specs for intake and exhaust?
I contacted JCR and they told me .014” for both intake and exhaust.
If you do not believe JCR, who will you believe. Like Catsailr27 said, Jim knows of which he speaks. 😁

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He first said intake and exhaust .014 but then said this after I asked if this was for a 2zz.
“The stock Toyo numbers were always considered too tight . With stock rockers we run .018 . The roller can handle the .014”
Kind of confused me, I asked for clarification but no reply yet.

·
Administrator
4,405 Posts
I missed the oem rollers after reading Ferrea valvetrain. Glad he was able to clarify it! Recommendations have changed over the years to open up the intake from original specs in part to cam wiping theories.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I missed the oem rollers after reading Ferrea valvetrain. Glad he was able to clarify it! Recommendations have changed over the years to open up the intake from original specs in part to cam wiping theories.

The measurements are taken between the shim and the rocker, right? Or is it between the cam and the rocker?

·
Administrator
4,405 Posts
The measurements are taken between the shim and the rocker, right? Or is it between the cam and the rocker?
According to the manual.... Routine service clearance checks should be made between the cam and roller follower. Only if a valve or rocker arm is replaced need the clearance between individual valves and the rocker arm be measured.

But I'm missing that TSB that was referred to in one of the previous links but what I copied above makes sense.

That Toyota special tool looks like it would make for much easier adjustments. When I was a Kawasaki mechanic we had similar tool for KZ900 valve shims.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
According to the manual.... Routine service clearance checks should be made between the cam and roller follower. Only if a valve or rocker arm is replaced need the clearance between individual valves and the rocker arm be measured.

But I'm missing that TSB that was referred to in one of the previous links but what I copied above makes sense.

That Toyota special tool looks like it would make for much easier adjustments. When I was a Kawasaki mechanic we had similar tool for KZ900 valve shims.
The head had ferrea rockers on it but those where replaced with oem rockers. That is the only thing that was done. Would the adjustment be off because of switching the rockers? Also the .018 is measured between cam an rocker or is the .018 between rocker and shim?
I’m not sure how the machine shop was doing the measurements but they said clearances where too tight. Intake was around .006 and exhaust was around .008 from what they told me

·
Administrator
4,405 Posts
Looks like according to what that manual stated above there could be differences even with oem ones so with the Ferreas being completely different I would say yes. I would email Jim and get his input since that is how he sets these heads up when he builds one. Here's BOE link to what comes on JCR head.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Looks like according to what that manual stated above there could be differences even with oem ones so with the Ferreas being completely different I would say yes. I would email Jim and get his input since that is how he sets these heads up when he builds one. Here's BOE link to what comes on JCR head.
I already emailed him and his specs with oem rockers are .018. I just want to know the correct way to measure this. Cam lobe to rocker or rocker to shim?

·
Administrator
4,405 Posts
I was referring to your question of where to measure. I would check with him on where he measures at.

·
Administrator
4,405 Posts
Glad that you got clarification and now if any others run into the problem it will be searchable and the info out for all to see.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts