The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I introduced myself to the forum some time ago, my name is Francesco, I live in Toronto, and I proudly own the Esprit Sport 300 #25.

As there is a remote chance I might move to California, I am trying to contact a fellow by the name of Michael Downing, who also owns a Sport 300 and managed to import it and register it in California, and it used to be serviced at Lotus Beverly Hills.

Here is the link to his personal page on Lotus Esprit World: Esprit Owners

I am trying to contact him to ask him some tips about potentially importing/registering mine, just in case...

The email address on his page has been deactivated, so I have no means to contact him; if anybody here has any links to him or to anybody who used to work at Beverly Hills Lotus, please let me know...

Thank you!

Francesco

·
Registered
313 Posts
Hello everyone,

I introduced myself to the forum some time ago, my name is Francesco, I live in Toronto, and I proudly own the Esprit Sport 300 #25.

As there is a remote chance I might move to California, I am trying to contact a fellow by the name of Michael Downing, who also owns a Sport 300 and managed to import it and register it in California, and it used to be serviced at Lotus Beverly Hills.

Here is the link to his personal page on Lotus Esprit World: Esprit Owners

I am trying to contact him to ask him some tips about potentially importing/registering mine, just in case...

The email address on his page has been deactivated, so I have no means to contact him; if anybody here has any links to him or to anybody who used to work at Beverly Hills Lotus, please let me know...

Thank you!

Francesco

call JK technologies in Baltimore, MD they can give you the details on this, from my past experience if it wasn't officially imported into the USA market, you will have a lot of problems at the border when entering into the USA, that said if you leave it on the current reg you have on the car now in Canada bring it in as a visitor you can probably be your best bet but if you go about registering it in California there is way more to deal with then you think and the time you will spend getting this titled in California wont be worth your time. I have reg'ed various gray market cars in California and its just a massive problem.

good luck.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the honest answer, I am well aware of the mountain of paperwork, money and hassle it takes to import gray market cars into the US, my curiosity in connecting with Mr. Downing was mostly to understand whether he managed to actually register it in California, and if so whether he claimed the car was substantially similar to other admissible cars, such as the federal Esprit SE Turbo, S4 and X180-R.

Cheers,

Francesco

·
Registered
313 Posts
Thank you for the honest answer, I am well aware of the mountain of paperwork, money and hassle it takes to import gray market cars into the US, my curiosity in connecting with Mr. Downing was mostly to understand whether he managed to actually register it in California, and if so whether he claimed the car was substantially similar to other admissible cars, such as the federal Esprit SE Turbo, S4 and X180-R.

Cheers,

Francesco
Best leave this subject alone and not post it on a open forum.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Francesco,

I just did a post on our Bay Area Esprit Group site to see if any of our California clubmembers might know or have some contact info for you. We are more of a Northern California group, but at one time had a bunch of Southern Cal members as well.

I did a general post indicating that you were a fellow Sport 300 owner and wanted to contact him with some car-related questions.

I will be sure to let you know if I hear anything.

Wishing you the very best!

Roy
Bay Area Esprit Group
San Francisco, California

1 - 7 of 7 Posts