The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have friend that is offended I will not let him drive my Elise. I think of him as a friend and do not want to lose a friend. He a Chevy driver and I have seen
him drive and I am not going to let him drive it.

Is there a nice way to explain you are not going to let a friend drive your Lotus?

Thanks
Ed

·
Registered
273 Posts
I am not sure I can help you but I can tell you that when people get offended by stuff like this, it just confirms my decision. In other words, if they don't respect my decision, why would I ever believe that they would respect my property?

Don't explain, just tell him you are not yet comfortable with other people driving your car and leave it at that.

·
Premium Member
6,265 Posts
Exactly!

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
My Girlfriend has the same heartburn about not driving my car. I bought her a Miata to distract her. We now do autocross together. I have told her when her times on the track become fast, she can drive the Elise. I.E. she shows the skills to be safe in the car, and knows how recover, she will be able to drive the car. Tell your buddy when he can match your PAX time at an SCCA meet in his chevy, then he can ask again. By then, I suspect he will have developed some improved driving habits. Most good things in this world must be earned, and not given, to have any value.

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
It can be so easy to damage these cars with carelessness and extremely expensive to fix. Just front clam damage to my car cost over 11 grand for my insurance to fix. It's hard to stomach someone else driving my car knowing this. If I screw something up, I have to deal with that. If a friend damaged something I doubt they would have the disposable income to be able to cover damages. Hell if it were not for my insurance neither do I for that matter!

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
I am not sure I can help you but I can tell you that when people get offended by stuff like this, it just confirms my decision. In other words, if they don't respect my decision, why would I ever believe that they would respect my property?

Don't explain, just tell him you are not yet comfortable with other people driving your car and leave it at that.
+1

·
Registered
593 Posts

+2

·
Registered
108 Posts
I think if would be worthwhile to explain the "fragility" of the car. You can't replace a bumper or pop a dent. Hitting a curb with the front of the car can be a $10k+ mistake. Explain that you can't afford that, he can't afford that, and regardless whether it was his "fault" or a complete "accident", damage to your car would likely impact your friendship more that a little tiff because you wouldn't let him. It's just a huge liability, and if anyone is going to break your car, you'd rather it be yourself so it won't affect your relationship with anyone.

(I'm rehearsing different lines for when I purchase my own Elise, hopefully within the next 30 days)

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Ask him if you can give his girlfriend's boobies a slap and tickle.

If he says yes, then let him drive your car

:)

·
Registered
153 Posts
It is worth explaining the fragility of the vehicle as noted above. It is possible that your friend does not understand this.

Many people, even hardcore car guys I have met initially did not know/understand that the front 'bumper' is not a replaceable bumper, it's all one piece with the rest of the front else, despite the little fake 'seam' on the front which is purely to make it look like a normal car.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Maybe offer him 5 minutes of tame driving in an area that is not too busy. Also mention that you don't feel comfortable with anyone driving your car.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks for the advise.

Think I will just tell him the car is fragile and I am not comfortable with anyone driving car. To me the car could not be replaced. If you can not understand that it is unfortunate

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Ill let almost anybody drive the car if I am in it but almost nobody if I am not.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I would just tell him ' My car insurance prohibits anyone from driving the car who is not listed on the policy.' Some insurance company's are like that, if something happens with another driver behind the wheel it's their loophole out of paying the claim.

When I purchased my Audi some years ago my cousin begged me to drive it, so I let him and he thrashed it. Then when I bought my Lotus he begged me to drive it... then there was this awful thought about when he drove my Audi.
I said 'No' over and over. After begging for some time and promising he would'nt beat it I broke down and let him drive it and this happened :shift:

I was so p/o'd, he tached it to 7 grand and was shifting it like a race car with short fast throws. If he had blown it up he most likely would have said the car was a piece of crap and I would have inherited the repair costs. I haven't seen or talked to him for over 10 years now.

Be safe, not sorry.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Just to clarify. Does the friend want to borrow the car, or simply drive it around the block with you in it?

If it's the latter, then IMO you should just suck it up and let them drive it. Unless you pick up your friend from a group home, the chance of him damaging it going around the block is slim to none, and your friend would obviously enjoy it. Heck, I've let total strangers drive my car. I taught my wife and nephew how to drive a manual in it. If you're not willing to go out of your way to do something nice for somebody, should you even consider them a friend?

I'll admit though, when it comes to loaning the car, I'm much more selective. Family is no problem, even if I know they don't have the means to fix it. Friends typically need to offer a vehicle in trade that offers a similar fun factor, but not always.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Top gear had a skit like this. Jeremy asked to drive someones supercar, and they asked to have a go at his daughter, because it ammounts to basically the same thing.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts