The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

My name is James, and I am stationed in Naples Italy with the US Navy.

Been here three years now and it is time to come home.

Since I have been here I have been the lucky owner of a Lotus Elise S1, the whole three years here.

I don't want to lose her...

I am importing her as a race car, with the proper mods, the roll cage, fire system, battery isolation switch, racing decals, harness and seat, dry break fuel filler. Lotus USA did it, so I am going with the same mods they did.

Any helpful info I might want to know?

And before anyone says, buy the Federal Elise...

I can't afford it. 'nuff said on that.

Thanks for your time,

James Hochmuth

Millennium Edition 111S

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum. As this is Elise related, I moved it to the main forum.

Have you called and talked to Lotus Motorsports?

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Another thing to consider that will cost more $$$. Do a engine conversion then you could register it as a kit car and drive it on the streets as well. There is a company in CA (Sun) that handles it using Honda motors.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the move...

Hello all!

Thank you for the move to the Elise Forum. I didn't want to post there as it seemed related to the federal Elise and news and such.

I'm just a stinky track only S1! :)

I have been working with Lotus Motorsport yes, they have sent me the conversion items I am imstalling now.

The main problem I have, I believe, is that I do not have a statement from Lotus stating my car was coverted for track use. If I did, this would be alot easier for me. Unless I can get a official letter from Lotus, I have to request permission to import the car...

I would LOVE to install a Honda motor! However, that is future, I have to get the car into the USA and keep it.

Thanks for your time!

James Hochmuth
Millennium Edition 111S

·
Registered
592 Posts

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
LarryB said:
Another thing to consider that will cost more $$$. Do a engine conversion then you could register it as a kit car and drive it on the streets as well. There is a company in CA (Sun) that handles it using Honda motors.
I thought Sun is out of business.

Also, they were obtaining sketchy licensing anyway, so the car wasnt necessarily street legal. Not exactly sure about all the details. There's a guy on this forum that has one. His handle is fastspider

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Talked with fastspider a bit back in Aug at a car show. His car is a recent Sun conversion, pretty sure he'd already registered the car. From what little I've heard, from a business standpoint there rep isn't the best.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmmm...

Hello all,

Ok, please se what you can find, however, I believe that was the grey market days under Reagan, and is no more sadly. I remember my Grandfather traveling to Germany to buy Benzs, and bring them back as is, well, only one, and then one for his wife...

I am going the Race car route, I have converted it damn near as close as I can to S190 spec safety and race wise. Lotus did it, don't see why I should not be able to.

So I have spent the money, and am ready to do it, am curious if anyone has some inside helpful info. I know there are many S1 Elises in the states, and many illegally, I just want to keep mine...

James

Millennium Edition 111S

·
Registered
206 Posts
If you are with the Navy how long will you be back in the USA for before you're back out of the country ?

I'm asking because I can take any car into the USA and run it on the roads as long as I don't sell it and take it out of the country withing 12 months.

However I'm not sure if the same regulations apply to US citizens :-(

Also (just curious here) what regulations does your car need to adhere to if it's not going to be used on the road ?

Over here a car that's not on the road doesn't need to satisfy any regs.

If you're planning on racing it it will then need to satisfy the regs of the organisation governing the races that you're putting it in to. This is a private thing though and nothinig to do with the government.

Likewise if you're only planning on using it for track days. It needs to satisfy the (less strict) regs of the trackday organisor.

There are 9 340R's in the USA that were taken in for trackdays only. I it would help I could get one of the owners to contact you.
If so send me a PM

1 - 11 of 11 Posts