The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

Long-time lurker, first-time poster. Just received my Elise (will post photos in the relevant thread soon, she's beautiful), and I'm trying to figure out how to connect my iPhone to the Alpine CDA-9820XM unit that came with it. I believe this is the same unit as the Exige comes with, and it came with the Premium pack for the Elise.

There's no obvious connection point, and all Google searches haven't been able to give me any insight — and I can't really figure out what's the right way to connect the iPod to the unit.

I found the following connector inside the car, and I was wondering whether it's a part of the stereo, or something entirely different. The spec from the dealer said "iPod adapter included", but they didn't know how it worked or where it was.

Any pointers appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Aha, it's my first car in the US, so didn't know about these. Thanks.

Anybody else have experience hooking up an iPhone to the Alpine 9820 unit?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
there is an Auxillary port on the back of the unit that I used for the connector to a Shuffle. If you can find the correct cable you might be able to connect it here too.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Hi all,

Long-time lurker, first-time poster. Just received my Elise (will post photos in the relevant thread soon, she's beautiful), and I'm trying to figure out how to connect my iPhone to the Alpine CDA-9820XM unit that came with it. I believe this is the same unit as the Exige comes with, and it came with the Premium pack for the Elise.

There's no obvious connection point, and all Google searches haven't been able to give me any insight — and I can't really figure out what's the right way to connect the iPod to the unit.

I found the following connector inside the car, and I was wondering whether it's a part of the stereo, or something entirely different. The spec from the dealer said "iPod adapter included", but they didn't know how it worked or where it was.

Any pointers appreciated!
I have the 9820XM in my Exige... it came with an iPod cable that came out of the right end of the dash undertray and plugs directly into the bottom of the latest generation iPod. It's actually a very decent iPod interface; you can access all of you songs, playlists, etc.

If you don't have this cable installed, I don't know whether it's still available since the 9820XM has been discontinued by Alpine. If you can get it, you can remove the head unit fairly easily and route the cable to the right end of the dash and into the undertray (as the stock application does).

And as someone has pointed out, the connector you've photographed is the OBD-II (On Board Diagnostic) connector, not the iPod connector.

EDIT: I've never tried hooking up the iPhone to the 9820... I've tried hooking it up to the iPod interface in my Audi and BMW without any luck... it says "interface not supported" or something like that...

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the 9820XM in my Exige... it came with an iPod cable that came out of the right end of the dash undertray and plugs directly into the bottom of the latest generation iPod.
Looks like I don't have the cable, then. I think I found a place that sells them online, so I will try that.

How do you remove the unit? There are no obvious places to pull (as opposed to the Blaupunkt stock unit), is there a special trick I should know about?

It's actually a very decent iPod interface; you can access all of you songs, playlists, etc. […] I've tried hooking it up to the iPod interface in my Audi and BMW without any luck... it says "interface not supported" or something like that...
Looks like I should go for a generic AUX plug instead of the dedicated iPod plug, then. Unless you have the chance to test an iPhone with your Exige setup and can confirm that it works.

Thanks for helping out a new member of the Aspen White Mafia! ;)

·
Registered
418 Posts
I have the Premium Pack on my 2006 Elise. It came with the Alpine 9820XM, but not with an iPod cable or interface. I installed the cable. Pulling the Alpine and installing the cable is easy. The Alpine manual shows how to remove the head unit from its mounting bracket. The hard part is routing the cable to a convenient spot to hook th iPod. There are a couple of different ways to route the cable. This is how I did it. (Note - watch the sharp edges in the dash. It's very easy to get nasty cuts when sticking your hands in there.)

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45221

I used the simple (and cheaper) iPod cable which uses the AUX input. It also charges the iPod, but all control (other than volume) still has to be done from the iPod itself. The more functional iPod interface installs just about the same, but there is an additional small box that must be located in the dash somewhere. This allows some control of the iPod from the head unit. Since I have trouble reading the Alpine display, especially with the top off the Elise, I didn't figure I needed the full interface and I am very happy with the cable I installed.

In the replies to my post, you can read a couple of other posts about different cable routing possibilities.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Looks like I don't have the cable, then. I think I found a place that sells them online, so I will try that.

How do you remove the unit? There are no obvious places to pull (as opposed to the Blaupunkt stock unit), is there a special trick I should know about?

Looks like I should go for a generic AUX plug instead of the dedicated iPod plug, then. Unless you have the chance to test an iPhone with your Exige setup and can confirm that it works.

Thanks for helping out a new member of the Aspen White Mafia! ;)
Here's the latest update: to my surprise, the iPhone does work with the iPod interface, it just says it can't make phone calls through the connection (no surprise there). It works just fine as an iPod though. Again, this is with the full iPod interface (Alpine KCA-420i), which as pointed out by CarNut above includes a module (3-15/16" x 1-3/8" x 5-1/2") that must be located near the head unit.

The link he provided also shows how to remove the head unit (it's very easy, and you don't need to remove the thin plastic bezel that's around the head unit). Also note that its easy to run cables behind the dash from the head unit to either cubby; I've done this on both sides... just wear gloves when you do it ;). Unfortunately the linked install didn't include the module, and I haven't had to install anything that size in the dash either.

And you're welcome... let us know what you decide to go with.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's not US-specific.
OK. Never seen them before — then again, the Lotus is my first car. I know, that's pretty ridiculous — but I have never needed a car until now. Might as well get the car of my dreams, right? :)

I have the Premium Pack on my 2006 Elise. It came with the Alpine 9820XM, but not with an iPod cable or interface.

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45221

I used the simple (and cheaper) iPod cable which uses the AUX input. It also charges the iPod, but all control (other than volume) still has to be done from the iPod itself.
Those instructions are exactly what I was looking for, thanks! Great job on documenting it. I will probably go for the same solution as you have, since I don't think I could ever get used to the Alpine as an iPhone controller. The fact that it still charges the unit seals the deal for me.

I'll probably end up putting it in the cubby hole on the driver's side for convenience, though.

Off to get the cable — have you ever tried it with an iPhone, or just iPods? I assume it should work, but you never know.

·
Registered
34 Posts
HELP!!

I have the 9820 XM.... I have the iPod cable that came out of the right end of the dash undertray..... I hook it up and .... NOTHING :rolleyes:

How do I control the iPod from the head unit? :wallbang:

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
Did you try to turn on the ipod? I know, it's a stupid question, but sometimes you have to turn it on manually. And make sure the ipod is charged.

Other than that, you just turn on the car and put the mode to changer.

·
Registered
34 Posts
First THANK YOU FOR THE HELP!!

It goes from Tuner to XM Radio to Disc.... then it starts over with Tuner then to XM to Disc back to Tuner... XM ....Disc.... Tuner......

I NEVER GET THE "Changer"..... what am I doing wrong? :wallbang:

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
First THANK YOU FOR THE HELP!!

It goes from Tuner to XM Radio to Disc.... then it starts over with Tuner then to XM to Disc back to Tuner... XM ....Disc.... Tuner......

I NEVER GET THE "Changer"..... what am I doing wrong? :wallbang:
Hmmm... I just went out to the car to check... I have the 9820XM also...

Even without the iPod plugged in to the cable, it still cycles Tuner/XM/Disc/Changer... I'm wondering whether your iPod interface module (behind the dash, unfortunately) is either disconnected or it's connector is loose...

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
I thought the same thing...... what a pain in the A$$ that will be to find......

BUT, Thank You, I'll let you know :bow:
It's actually pretty easy to remove the head unit... if you remove the front face you'll see two small "clips" on the sides that hold the head unit in. If you push them down, you can slide the head unit out and get to the connectors on the back...

·
Registered
34 Posts
:clap::coolnana::clap: GOT IT! :clap::coolnana::clap:
After 30min to pull the head unit :wallbang: found it in 5sec. ...... loose connection:(

THANK YOU :bow: :clap:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts