The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello my fellow esprit drivers, my clock does not light, I have been removing after market items such as alarms, power window relays, power locks, amplifiers, horns, telephone brackets with power bases, you name it and this guy installed it, I'm glad the car didn't burn up, although I have had to replace a lot of burned ground wires, anyway on to the questions..............

the clock that mounts on the header molding right above the rear view mirror does not function, its now removed from the car as I am completly replacing the interior, looking at the manual its difficulty to see where the 4 wire go to and what fuction they provide, I know "B" is black and shows as earth or ground, the other 3 wires are red, green and blue, it would seem the clock would need a hot to the battery through a fuse to keep time, and but I'm unsure which wire does what, any idea's would be most helpful, for testing should all the other leads be feed "+" power? while providing "-" to the black lead???? - please chime in with your thoughts - best wishes - Tom

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,854 Posts
In Section MC, sheet 12 (an '87 Esprit manual), the clock is wired thusly:

red/black is 12V (fused, #3), black is ground.

The other two wires are for illumination at night. Yellow Green comes from the radio AMP plug, and the P (purple) is commoned to the Interior Lamp Delay module. (I'm sure it does not have a delay, I think it was just a convenient source of power since the purple wires work the interior lamp over the rear window.)

I have no idea if all G-Esprits had the clock overhead? If not, these may not apply.

Hope this helps...

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your input and help - I'll try that and see if it works, my electrical system has been hacked and spliced by someone who didn't really know what they were doing - cheers! - Tom

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,854 Posts
Thank you for your input and help - I'll try that and see if it works, my electrical system has been hacked and spliced by someone who didn't really know what they were doing - cheers! - Tom
Just remember:

British auto wiring uses SMOKE as a medium. Once the SMOKE escapes, things don't work anymore....

rotfl

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks "carbuff" - I found a cold solder joint in the floresent display, after touching up the solder Joint, I followed your connections and nothing happend, turns out I was not waiting long enought for anything to happen, I just touching the the positive lead to a battery terminal, and pulled the lead away when it didn't light, it seems to take about 2 seconds to provide enough energy to fire up the display, that 2 seconds seemed like a life time as I thought it was burning itself up - anyway its been on for 24 hours now and I'm ready to install it as the interior pieces start going back in, so thank you!!!!!!!

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,854 Posts
You're welcomed!

"When in doubt read the directions" :p

Over the years I have obtained Lotus Service Manuals for newer and older Esprits than my own. (I own the OE paper manuals for 88 - 92)

They come in handy sometimes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
1982 S3 Esprit clock wiring issues

Hi, I just fixed a years old problem with my clock on a 1982 S3 which I have owned for 30 years!

The harness colours are the same as the colours coming out the clock, however... The black is straight forward -ve earth, the harness red is a live from the light switch which dims the clock display when the side light switch is "on" and therefore goes to the clock green, the harness purple is a +ve and is always live which goes to the clock red, the harness green is an ignition switched +ve and goes the clock purple. As I have owned the car for so many years now I'm not sure why the colours don't line up as I've never asked anyone to check it out, or had any electrical problems that have required a garage to sort out.

Maybe yours has the same wiring errors? Mine would not keep time after setting it and switching the ignition off, the bottom LCD segments would not light, now I've sorted the wiring out it works perfectly.

Good luck, Dick Edwards

1 - 7 of 7 Posts