The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to break down and bring it to a auto shop... but thought I check here first.

Oddly enough I'm having extreme difficulties with changing the oil on the elise (Which I thought was simple enough). The problem I have is just with screws.... Initially I had a dead screw in the under panel near the NACA vent, got that out and remove the panel.

However I tried to get the oil drain plug out and this thing is ALSO dead in there, no matter what I tried I won't budge..

Are there anyone in the Area that could assist / offer advice to me by any chance? (Chandler / Mesa / Gilbert) area.

Thank you very much in advance!!!!

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
hate to ask but I have to make sure, are you turning bolt the correct way?

Take rsamani's advice and try using a bigger ratchet or breakerbar if you have to, once its off double check the threads on it and make sure it hasn't been cross threaded or sealed with some kind of thread locker. This also might be a good time to get the quarter turn kit or something similar.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yup, asked my stepdad take a look and confirm we were turning the correct way. I plan to get a bigger ratchet when I get out of work here and retry again, HOPEFULLY it works this time.

Where would I be able to get a quarter turn kit for the drain plug?

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Make sure you have the correct socket wrench sizes.

11 bolts of 8 mm size
2 bolts of 13 mm size
Oil drain plug of 9/16 inch size

I think that once I tried to undo the oil drain plug with a metric size and nearly stripped it. Make sure it is 9/16 inches.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Make sure you have the correct socket wrench sizes.

11 bolts of 8 mm size
2 bolts of 13 mm size
Oil drain plug of 9/16 inch size

I think that once I tried to undo the oil drain plug with a metric size and nearly stripped it. Make sure it is 9/16 inches.
The Toyota engine has a pan on it that takes a SAE drain bolt? 14mm is close to 9/16". I'm surprised they'd go that route.....Hmmm.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
The Toyota engine has a pan on it that takes a SAE drain bolt? 14mm is close to 9/16". I'm surprised they'd go that route.....Hmmm.
I've never thought about this before but I think you are right. A 9/16 inch socket fits tightly but it is equivalent to 14.2875 mm. Therefore if a 14 mm socket fits that is probably the correct size. Thanks for pointing that out.

I could not find info for the 2ZZ-GE engine but the user manual for my 1986 Toyota Tercel (3A engine) says the size to use is 14 mm.

What I think I almost did one time is to use the 9/16 inch socket on the two 13 mm bolts under the car. That felt like it was slipping (of course).

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Sounds like whoever did the last service was fond of impact set to stun. Get yourself a 1/2 breaker bar and hope you dont strip the pan. If you do its a good excuse to upgrade to a baffled pan. You only need 20 or so footlbs when you replace

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
350 Posts
Sounds like whoever did the last service was fond of impact set to stun. Get yourself a 1/2 breaker bar and hope you dont strip the pan. If you do its a good excuse to upgrade to a baffled pan. You only need 20 or so footlbs when you replace

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App
negatory. it's my old car, and an impact never touched the oil drain plug. i can't speak for the undertray bolts that the body shop last touched though :sad:

even more odd is that i last changed the oil in july, and i never had a problem on my previous changes :(

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Finally got the bolt it! It was stubborn indeed.. I just need to look for 2 bolt to replace the ones near the NACA duct for easy removal next time.

Do you guys have any suggestions?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts